View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #39
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Warrant was the point at which most people realized hair metal had jumped the shark and become a parody of itself (Cherry Pie specifically).

How about Bullet Boys?

Or Damn Yankees. I just listened to their first album today, and it had one of the most soaring ballads ever (High Enough), and some amazing harmonies in their other songs, but it also had quite a bunch of filler, and came out in 1992 right before Grunge music basically wiped out the entire genre. They only came out with one more album, in 1993.

And I love the Bullet Boys album Za Za, it was so good!

I would consider bands like Warrant, Winger, Slaughter and Poison to be at the top end of the Glam Metal genre, not really mid-point bands. Bands like Winger and Warrant did attempt to recreate themselves once Grunge hit (and honestly it was already happening just before), and their albums were definitely getting a bit dirtier and harder hitting, but it didn't matter, there was absolutely no market for them at the time. I still enjoyed their stuff though.

The excess was getting to be too much, as a lot of the copycat bands were just piling on and making the genre more and more tired. I was in a hard rock band in the early 90's myself, and I completely stopped playing guitar solos because it was just overdone.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote