View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #715
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Stayin' alive mode
Or just playing spoiler?

Alright my dearest readers, a lot has changed in Maassluis since the last time I reported. Well, a lot, we had one major change in the depth chart department and some minor changes. The big one at the quarterback slot: Harrison Singleton has started the last 4 games for us. Let's rewind a bit.

Week 12 vs Capital City: 20-13 loss
In a must win and should win game, QB Evan Drake struggled. Despite throwing for 223 yards a touchdown to FB Randy Julian, his 2 interceptions were the last straw for me. The running game was okay, but the defense clearly doesn't believe in Drake and the gave away 371 total yards.

So, I made a couple of changes to the team.
Rookie QB Harrison Singleton to start ahead of QB Evan Drake. Singleton had done well in the early part of the season, sample size and what not, he lead the team to 2 victories and a sketchy loss.
2nd-year RB Marcus Jorg to play in the RB committee ahead of RB Van Goodwin, whom I kept active as a key member of the special teams unit. Goodwin was gaining 4.9 yards per carry, but without his absurd 172 yards in week 1, he was averaging barely 3.5 yards per carry.
Rookie LT Earl McBirney took over from LT Harold Gruenwalder. The first round rookie had to get reps and I felt that it was ok to put him in the toughest slot, the one where we picked him for. I decided to not plug him or Gruenwalder at guard, but trust in the other 4 starters.
Rookie DE Howard Tucker was activated and together with 2nd-Year LB Avery Distel made more involved in pass rush formations. Special Teams LB Mo Fausel was sacrificed.
Nothing too fancy, non complete overhaul, but just some obvious replacements of over the hill players.

Week 13 at Houston: 19-12 win
Holy smokes, welcome back QB Harrison Singleton. Despite our struggles in the final 30 yards of the field, Our strong-legged K Oscar Harrington converted a triple of long ones to give us enough of a cushion to get a strong enough lead that when Houston kicked a field goal with just over 1 minute to go, they had to go for the on-side kick. They recovered, but we stood strong. QB Singleton threw for 258 yards with a touchdown to WR Preston Gray.

Week 14 vs Texas: 47-22 win
The team clicked, and then some, and then some more. At half time we were leading 34-0 already. The backups of the Texas Sharks put up a fight and with a struggling QB Evan Drake on our offense, they got within 4 scores, but that just says it all. Rookie QB Harrison Singleton threw for 198 yards in limited action with a touchdown pass to WR Preston Gray, while Singleton joined RB Bennett Holmes and RB Marcus Jorg in each having a rushing touchdown. Freaky enough, the total yards figure was 411 to 410 in our favor, but that would be unfair as we also saw our secondary pick their quarterbacks off 3 times.

Week 15 at Paris: 27-7 win
In a turnover fest, we out took them 5-2, that combined with our more efficient offense and hard to beat defense, we posted a steadily buit up victory. QB Harrison Singleton threw for 175 yards and a touchdown to WR Calvin Maxwell, but also ran for a touchdown, where he was joined by rookie 3rd-down RB Cary Delgado.

Week 16 at Moontown: 19-16 win
The streak continued as QB Harrison Singleton threw for 248 yards with touchdowns to WR Calvin Maxwell and WR Rick Emerson. Crucial was our early built lead and our consistent ability to pin them deep. We forced them to start 2 drives on their own 1-yard line (freaky enough their only touchdown came on such a possession) and they never started further downfield that their own 25-yard line. In return, aside from our first drive, we were consistently far from our own red zone. Still, we needed a hail mary to pull it off.

European Division:
1. Gothenburg 11-4
2. Maassluis 8-7
3. Bordeaux 4-10-1
4. Paris 2-13

Week 17, Gothenburg comes to Maassluis. If we pull the upset, it will cost the Giants a bye week, which they can only blame themselves for if they blow it after their recent losing streak. We'll need help elsewhere to sneak into the playoffs and if we do, we're guaranteed to get a trip to Gothenburg there.

Can we beat Gothenburg? I'm doubtful. Harrison Singleton is on a hot streak and we're actually on the second longest winning streak in the league, but these guys have our number. I'm fearful about another 34-0 drubbing.

Unrelated, we've seen the Fort Wayne Fury struggle all season long. They won games back-to-back recently, but a 4-11, they're quite possibly the biggest disappointment compared to last season. Our convenience is having their first round pick. We could have help our own faith to try to push their pick into the top3, but our pride made us forget about it and try to keep winning, especially in the recent games against 2-13 Paris and 3-12 Moontown. With some (bad) luck, this pick will drop all the way to being the #8 overall, while at 'best' at can improve to #3.

But, the 2109 draft is far away still, we have a do-or-die game tomorrow.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote