View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #258
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Bill Russell, RIP.

The Bill Simmons book does a great job of pointing out just how good he was. Well, that and the 11 freaking titles he won.

For a sports culture that loves rings, I always felt he was underrated as a player. I was happy to see he began to get some of the respect he deserved later in life. That does not even begin to touch on everything he did and was off the court.

My favorite stat.

Bill Russell was 22-0 in winner-take-all-games.

At USF, his '55 team was 5-0 in the tourney on the way to the title.

At USF, his '56 team was 4-0 in the tourney on the way to the title.

In the '56 Olympics, the US squad was 2-0 when it came to the winner-take-all final 4 for gold after the group stage.

In the NBA, the Celtics were famously 10-0 in Games 7's throughout his career. He also won Game 5 of the 1966 East semifinals best of 5 series against Oscar Robertson's Cincinnati Royals.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote