View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I'm just scared the prep school will be too small of a social group, too niche, too curated.

re: small group -- one of the things that helped with that in our situation was to maintain some existing connections outside that circle.

For example, Will chose to remain with his original Scout troop instead of switching over to one that was based largely around his new school. Made Scout stuff a break from the same faces.

Later, another way of expanding his circle was stuff like non-school related extracurriculars, such as getting involved with a non-profit group whose junior board was made up of students from something like 6 or 7 different HS across a multi-county area. At least one of those is still friend enough that they talk to this day.

Granted, we were lucky, choices like those were largely his, he consciously wanted to maintain some variety to the people he had to see and deal with. And that's a thing that involves both some (self) awareness as well as decision making about where the line ends up being between "still being a stranger" to the new classmates and "okay, I've had about all these same faces I can take".

My point here really is just that it IS doable to broaden the social relationships even with a small(er) school environment. It just takes a little more thinking outside the box, not being overly reliant on the school associations to provide all the socialization.