View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #92
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I think we could all use a bit of unity and less polarization on both sides. Seems to me the moderate voices have been thoroughly down out via social media and conventional media over the last decade or so. I long for a time when we can have an honest debate and discussion and not take things so personally again.

I don't think we have lacked as much unity over the years as it seems and times like this seem to remind us of that. We simply don't allow each other to speak anymore and try to work to together with anyone that has a differing view. While things have been polarized and challenging domestically over the last few years we have forgotten how fortunate we are as a nation and how important the US is in maintaining global stability.

I agree. Even bringing this up lately leads to a chorus of, "but they deserve it - they truly are evil." So many people are in hives where all they hear is how awful their perceived opponents have become.

I think it's obvious that the end result is a country where the state news codifies these allegations. Russians are told to believe that Ukraine is an actual threat to bring a reign of terror to their homes.

Our power is in our freedom to assemble and discuss whatever we want to discuss. If it's a ludicrous idea, then calmly, evidence is produced that it's a ludicrous idea. If it isn't, perhaps opinions change. Russians do not have that power. I think many of our leaders have been selfish and unpatriotic in allowing people to think it's OK to abdicate that power.

So Russian "news" hosts, personally angry because their milllion-dollar Italian villas were confiscated, are now arguing that Russia itself is threatened and the world is better off without people, including Russians.

There's no end game to that mindset. We can only hope it's a bluff, because we have to call it.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote