View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #77
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Specifically for the Olympics, I don't think you can compete for China unless you are a dual citizen (not possible in China) or gave up US citizenship and became a citizen of China.

She's avoided the question about citizenship. Easy enough to answer. I infer from her hesitancy there is more to this story. If she has not renounced her US citizenship but somehow is representing China in the Olympics, then yeah, there's a principle here.

If she has renounced her citizenship and now is a Chinese citizen, great for her.

I've explained this over and over and you still misrepresent this. Just like in the USA, a child of a Chinese citizen is given Chinese citizenship and there is no way to revoke that other than through petition. Gu, with both a Chinese and American parent, would be recognized as a citizen by both China and the USA. She doesn't have to do anything for that to be true and whether or not China or the USA recognize dual citizenship is irrelevant.

This is the status of my daughter, born in China to Chinese parents. She is and will always be a citizen of China. When we adopted, she was granted American citizenship, but that has no bearing on her status as a Chinese citizen. She will always be recognized as a citizen by both countries.