View Single Post
Old 02-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I found the USA coverage to be pretty good in terms of showing everything. I'm pretty sure, if I wanted I could see every luge run, men's skating, slopestyle, big air and Mens super G skiing run (at least the top 25 contenders) over the past few days.

This. The USA coverage on the weekend was so much better. At worst, for recorded stuff, you'd get all of the runs of the Americans and the medal contenders. For the live stuff, it's just live so they just roll it on out there for you to see. I found it to be so much more palatable than the NBC coverage. But it's not as "neatly" packaged as Prime Time where they pick the three to five biggest stories of the day and condense them for you so you know exactly which couple of hours to watch for max drama.

Also, I'm a DVR fiend for the Olympics. I just set it up to tape and then start at, say, 8:30 PM. That way, I can roll through the human interest stories, the commercials, and all the other fluff and just see the sports and be done about the time the broadcast ends.* Should I have to do this? No. But I'm also the guy who was watching Olympics all weekend so if I want to see it, this is what I have to do. It's only a couple of weeks every couple of years so I deal with it. I know others won't.

*I also have to keep reminding my wife that if she's manning the remote that you fast forward into things until you're sure it's something you want to see and then rewind if need be - if you just stop at everything that might be Olympics, you'll be there all day. She tends to stop at Olympic ads or all the incessant coverage of figure skaters warming up because she might miss the routine. The number of times they would come back from break, Tirico would say something, they'd go to some skaters warming up on the ice for two minutes, Tirico would say something else, and they'd go back to commercial is just maddening. Just give me my damn sports. You could have given me 5 more runs of slopestyle or luge or moguls or whatever in that time but, hey, some pairs figure skating team is skating across the ice warming up, not even doing tricks. That'll draw the eyeballs!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote