View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #376
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, a lot going on in Madden world, not a lot for me I'm still sorta bored.
I have grabbed the two new 92 Dolphins cards, and have put some time into playing with them - Jakeem Grant is indeed a nifty return guy, super-agile. Duke Johnson is an improvement on the Reggie Bush card as my 3rd down back, but to be honest Ricky Williams is still probably better than Duke in that capacity, despite not being as shifty - he's just that good overall.

Still playing Dolphins-50 with non-theme players sprinkled in, and out-of-position Derrick Henry at QB.

It's dumb, Henry plays more or less like a powerful but mobile QB... he's basically the same card as, say, Jalen Hurts. Instead of making these OOP cards physical freaks who are lacking in position-specific skills, they have made them into titanic stars who carry over most of their base athletic skills and then magically have plenty-good-enough pure skills for their fake positions. We get it, real life Derrick Henry occasionally tosses a 9 yard TD pass to a wide open guy on a trick play. And I would be just fine with an OOP card letting him be a RB behind center, who can pass the ball at a just-barely-adequate level... got it, fine. Sort of like running a full time wildcat offense, fine. But making him a precise, solid passer -- like as effective as most NFL starters at routine 15-yard-out timing patterns against man coverage? Dumb.

Same goes for DK Metcalf at CB -- don't give him great "cover skills" just make him a tall strong athlete who could line up at the position and sometimes outjump the other guy. Not a lock down cover man, too. Bo Jackson at MLB, Calvin Johnson at FS, on and on. It's a stupid perversion of football, and I hate that using guys like this is essentially the way to make your team the best it can be.

Browns got a 95 Baker, and I just bought it... I will likely buy the new 97 Joel Bitonio and power him up to be my first 98 rated player. OBJ is super expensive, over 1.5M and I just couldn't bite the bullet for more than half my cash, so I guess i sit him out -- I will be able to power up my current OBJ to something like 94-95 and he will be a new WR1 for Baker. Irony abounds, running back to run the Browns team so I can feast on the Baker-to-Odell connection when both sides of that have since fallen apart in real life.

Alas.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote