View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #607
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: New DT, but no new QB
Yup, I dropped the ball on Angel Henson.

We had a good, but not overwhelming offer out there for QB Angel Henson. The 34-year old was out of contract and we put in an early $165M for two years offer. His team of the last two seasons had an outstanding offer for much less, but still a far offer. Instead of tweaking that $165M bid into being a bit more bonus heavy, I tried to semi-lowball and as a result we ended up offering a sound contract (2 years, $120M, with a $100M bonus), but it couldn't beat the Tigers' $121 bonus.

We did end up signing Ben Courcy, a big 29-year old all around solid DT, previously with the Colorado Cutthroats, to a 4-year low bonus contract. He should be solid enough for a couple of seasons to help rebuild the defense, together with rookie DE Gabriel Morris. I'm seriously considering to switch Morris to DT.

We also signed a quintet of our unrestricted free agents to close to minimum 2-year deals: QB Jay Bates, RB Van Goodwin, TE Darnell McKie, WR/ST Gage Greer and LB/ST Mo Fausel. We'll have to talk with WR/ST Calvin Hancock and LT Carson McCormick next, but both are requesting a bit more, hence we're going to wait a bit for their demands to drop. LB/ST Wally Cooley surprisingly let his agent tell us he doesn't want to sign a new contract with us. Apparently he became livid about his playing time, being our key special teamer wasn't apparently enough and he felt that the superior talent of our actual starters at LB wasb't good enough.

There are some sports on the roster that we're going to look at in the next couple of days, as the draft moves on and the free agency period continues. It won't come as a surprise that the focus will be on RB, LB, OL, S and you never know where as well. But the details, that's not to be disclosed at the moment.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote