Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

Good chance that Duterte would have won as VP, especially in a rumored Daughter-Father run. He failed at Covid (but hey, who didn't), he failed at FP with China (didn't get much) but seems to be pivoting to the US now, he killed a lot of drug dealers, druggies etc. (and probably some innocents along the way). But overall, high popularity ratings.

E3B1C256-BFCB-4CEF-88A6-1DCCD7666635
Quote:
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday said he was retiring from politics, a surprise move that fueled speculation he was clearing the way for his daughter to run to succeed him, despite her filing for re-election as mayor.

The leader made the announcement after he accompanied his former long-time aide, Christopher “Bong” Go, to register his own vice-presidential candidacy with the ruling party at a Commission on Elections centre.
Duterte, whose term ends in June next year, said many Filipinos had expressed their opposition to his vice-presidential bid in surveys and forums.
Most Filipinos agree Duterte’s bid for vice-president violates constitution

“The overwhelming sentiment of the Filipino is that I’m not qualified, and it would be a violation of the constitution,” Duterte said. “In obedience to the will of the people … I will follow what you wish and today I announce my retirement from politics.”

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-02-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote