View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 07:59 AM   #9
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

To me, the best part about the show is just that it wasn't your typical sci-fi fare (probably why it didn't do so well). It came across as a western with spaceships instead of wagons. I liked the departure from the whole "aliens in every episode" thing as it was just about the human condition. No aliens. No ancient artifacts. No "beam me up" stuff.

The biggest bonus anyone could hope for in a show is that the characters were (are) great. Yes, the prostitute was a hottie, but so is Gina Torres but yet that wasn't their only virtue [edit: the mechanic was no slouch either]. I also think they did a good job with the crazy girl, though I could see that turning into a Thomas Covenant type of thing where she has the white gold but doesn't use it (which would have been frustrating).

Overall, I just think it was refreshing to see a character driven sci-fi series that didn't rely on technology to make it interesting to watch. In fact, tech is such a small part of the series that it was almost invisible. You were able to focus on the stories and not "oooh... can Jordie configure the warp coil so that they can withstand the explosion of Rigel IV's sun?"

Last edited by Bonegavel : 12-31-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote