Thread: Movie Puzzle
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #101
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Did anyone guess Glory?

I haven’t seen it in a long time, but the letters, location, and similarity to some of the closer guesses make me think this is it right.
Glory?? You mean the movie about the 54th—the number that’s in my signature??? (And yes, I realize there’s some duplicity of the meaning of the word there…) The movie about history that’s heavily based on—and has all of its narration as—letters to Col. Shaw’s mother???? (and father)

You mean the movie where a rookie Colonel leads a group of mostly ex-slaves, and in perhaps its most poignant and memorable scene has his hand forced to have one of his men flogged in front of the battalion?

You mean the one where later on that same soldier has a character-arch-defining one-on-one conversation with the Colonel and they discuss how "ain’t nobody clean" and the officer asks the soldier how it can be redeemed??? (“We ante up and kick in.”)

Apart from the clues, do you mean the movie where all of the climactic scenes take place in the area where I lived for nearly half of my time at FOFC??? (And also where both of my children were born, where the daughter in question lived over half her life, where my wife’s ancestors held slaves, and where my ancestors were brought into this country as slaves.) I wouldn’t expect everyone on this board to know the parenthetical part I dropped right there, but I know that some know most/all of it. Honestly, I was worried that one person who has guessed multiple times in this thread might guess Glory almost immediately without the clues, because he is aware that his wife and my wife both come from the same family lineage that owned numerous slaves in the Lowcountry.

Nope, you’re the first one to guess Glory.

[denzel]“…And it wouldn’t be nuttin’ but Rebs dyin’ if they let the 54th in it!”[\denzel]

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-06-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote