View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's ok to tell him that it's ok to walk away, and I'm sure you have. You can paint a picture of life for him that doesn't include baseball and you can show him that life will go on, and he can still enjoy baseball even if he's not out there playing it. Saying and talking about those things give him alternatives to think about and give him an alternative narrative inside that he can use to accept alternative outcomes and he can give himself permission to move on to do other things and for a perfectionist, that allowing, giving the self permission, is critical to growth and healing.

This echoes several conversations that I (in particular) had with Will over the years. There comes a point where you have to decide whether you're in or you're out. (Typing that, I'm reminded of pets who want the door opened but then stand in the threshold half in & half out).

And I won't lie: more often than not, the ultimate decision was "out". But that's okay too I think, because you can't be master-of-literally-ALL-things. You DO have to pick and choose where to devote time & energy, we all do.

Being a kid is tough.
Being a parent is tough.

And though it doesn't do anything to feed the proverbial bulldog, I really am sorry that he/you/your family is going through this Flasch.