View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 02:15 PM   #13
Archer219
Mascot

I fall into my chair at work, look out to the sun shinning over the Seattle skyline. Thoughts of failing sequels and bombing big budget films float through my head, and then the call comes.

My secretary pages me, "Sean, there is a reporter on the phone and he wants to talk to you about Batman."

I groan. I really don't need this right now. However, in light of the failure that was "Galactica 2", I feel that any press is good press.

"Put them through."

"Hello Mr. Penxa, I'm John Ralhte and I'd like to ask you some questions about Batman."

"First off, call me Sean."

"Okay, Sean."

"Thanks. So fire away with the questions."

"Well there is really only one. With the non-blockbuster sucess of "Batman: Dark Knight" and the blockbuster sucess of "Batman: Riddle Me This" why did you go back to Kevin Smith as the director of "Batman: Two-Faced Coin"?"

Wow, I've asked myself that question before and always had a reasonable explanation for myself. It is a good question. Anyone who knows me could look at the facts, but they contradict one another. For example:

I am a Kevin Smith fanboy, but I really liked what Tim Burton did on "Batman."

I think Kevin Smith did amazing work with the comics he has written, but I thought "Nightmare Before Christmas" had an awesome dark comic book feel.

So, sure I could say only the things about Kevin Smith and leave out the Tim Burton stuff, but that would be unfair. But here is what comes out:

"I felt that the feel of "Dark Knight" is what I wanted for this next film. While Tim made a wonderful film, and I would be interested in putting him in charge of a future Batman movie again, I felt that I needed to go with the director that was best for the film."

And there it is.

That is the end of the interview, and it is the truth.

[Rant]
As to the people before who were questioning my superhero casting, here is the truth:

For the role of Superman I wrote down on paper a list of five guys I'd want to play Superman. Of this list, only two people, Luke Wilson and Guy Pearce, were in the talent file. I don't remember the whole list, and I threw it out. The only other person I can remember was Dean Cain. So, I considered the options, and I went with the younger of the two which happened to be Luke Wilson. Given a real life casting decision, I'd bring them and the others in for readings and give it to the best of the five.

For the role of Batman, I first had to decide if I wanted to do Year One or Main Era or Dark Knight Returns (I would not do Beyond). DKR went out first because it portrays Superman as a bad guy. So, I chose Main Era. There were only two people on my list this time; Edward Norton and Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix was a cheaper option so Phoenix got the role.
[/Rant]
Or I can be the source of your desperation.
Archer219 is offline   Reply With Quote