View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

All perfectly legit answers that I considered, but I couldn't tell for sure if those were the case or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
A lot of Baseball players get to HS and switch to Football which perhaps explains some of the slower evolution to showcase ball here. I'm not sure why but perhaps that's a part of it.

Bsed on what I've seen for several decades now I'd say peer pressure plays into that, as well as athletic department pressure.

Football simply has a higher cachet in most cases, so there's a natural push for the most promising athletes (and often the not-so-promising) to invest their talents there at least in addition, if not in lieu of, anything else.

Quote:
I think you're emphasis there is probably happening in S Fl, and C Fl, even W FL but it seems to just not have gotten here yet.

Hmm, just a shot in the dark here: are your HS on average maybe a bit smaller than some of those other areas? Mega schools in Georgia largely cluster around Atlanta, smaller ones in south South Georgia, is that somewhat comparable there? Not to the extent that Atlanta dominates the megaschool area here but to lesser degree maybe?

If so, sheer body count can be a factor. There's only so many spots to go 'round, more bodies mean more 1% athletes, more viable travel teams, etc.
Purely a wild ass guess on my part, but it seems plausible as a partial explanation.