View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #339
Karim
College Starter

The Iginla rumours are rampant these days in Calgary. Everyone knows that he needs to be qualified at $7 million before July 1st, 2004 in order for the team to retain his rights. The options:

1) qualify him @ $7 million
2) trade him at the trade deadline
3) let him be an UFA and try and resign him post-CBA
4) let him be an UFA and use the $7 million elsewhere
5) work on renegotiating a long-term deal (around $25 million/5 years is the number that keep popping up)

The vultures have been flying from other teams. Frankly #5 is what the team should be trying to do. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that Don Meehan will be amenable to restructuring the deal. Iginla has held out before on Meehan's advice (it was only a short while during training camp so people might forget that).

I might be of a minority opinion in Calgary but I think losing him would be devastating, even more so that any of Gilmour, MacInnis, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Fleury. Iginla IS the franchise, and for whatever reason, one of the most popular players to ever play here. I have heard people refer to him as "our Steve Yzerman" with the hope he remains here his entire career.

$7 million is a lot of money for a small-market team but I think losing him would cost the organization even more. Cancelled season tickets, less game-day walk up, less merchandising (the only new jerseys I see anyone wear are with #12), and generally less notoriety around the league translating to less interest in showing the team on TV. Yes, we're on a roll but the fans still want to see #12. We could be winning without him but the team loses any drawing card without him.

Unless the offer is outstanding, I wouldn't be trading him either. The best I've heard is something like Gagne/Handzus/Comrie, Williams and Vandermeer from Philly for Iginla and Conroy/Gauthier. Frankly, no trade will satisfy me and I think the Flames should shock the NHL and pony up the $7 million if they can't renegotiate. I'd offer a base salary of $25 million/5 years with HUGE team and personal bonuses that would make up or exceed the difference.

Fleury left on bad terms; I'd hate to see Iginla do the same.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote