View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 04:37 AM   #229
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Draft Day Deals & Other Draft Tid Bits

The computer showed some trade life during the draft. Here's a rundown fo the trades made.

Trade One

IND dealt S Idrees Bashir to DAL for the Cowboys' 2004 2nd round pick (58th overall).

Having already dealt their third rounder to us last year, the Cowboys felt no compunction in also trading away their second rounder. I think they got a pretty good deal. Bashir, a 2001 2nd rounder, started last year for the Colts and grades out as a very solid safety. He should pair with Roy Williams in a fine safety tandem (although it makes me wonder what happened to Darren Woodsen, who did not retire). Bashir had 85 tkl, 4 int in 15 starts last year. The Colts drafted DE Brian Guyon (26/44) out of Colorado with the pick.

Trade Two

GBY dealt OLB Barrett Green to BUF for the Bills' 2004 2nd round pick (60th overall)

This deal is a little weird, in that the Packers just signed Green in the last free agency away from Detroit. I would imagine in real life, it woul dbe a violation of pro football's CBA to have a recently signed player dealt like that. I think the packers got a good deal, too. Green is a decent enough linebacker, but I'm not sure he is worth a second rounder, even at the back end of the round. Green had 60 tkl, 4.5 sk and 1 int in 12 starts and 16 games for the Lions. The Packers drafted OLB Zach Nielson (24/47) out of Army with the pick.

Trade Three

HOU dealt S Eric Brown to NED for the Pats' 2004 3rd round pick (69th overall)

New England largely struck out in free agency, so they decided to go the trade route. They dealt a high third rounder to the Texans for Brown, a decent if not spectatcular safety. I would consider Brown to be a run-of-the-mill safety with the skills to start, but not as one of the better safeties in the league. It seems like a fairly even deal, although I think he could be had for less. He is terrific in run defense and at intercepting the ball, and that should go a long way. Brown had 79 tkl, 3 int, 6 defn in 16 starts for the Texans. The Texans drafted T Moe Bernard (11/51) out of SE Oklahoma State with the pick.

Trade Four

NYG dealt DE Osi Umenyiora to DET for the Lions' 2004 4th round pick (107th overall)

It appears that Umenyiora, a 2003 2nd round pick, hasn't really shown good enough stuff to justify where he was picked, as he is dealt for a fourth rounder a year later. He has good pass rush strength, but his technical ability in both phases of the game and in play recognition is still under development. He's a low-grade backup right now, but appears to have the ability to develop into a decent, if not spectacular starter down the road. He didn't play much last season for the Giants. The Giants drafted DT Herb Wright (29/36) out of Idaho with the pick.

Trade Five

ATL dealt WR Robert Ferguson to TEN for the Titans' 4th round pick (126th overall)

In another deal involving a recently signed free agent, the Falcons sent former starting Packers receiver Ferguson to the Titans for a fourth rounder. This seems to be a good pick for the Titans, as that is pretty cheap to get a starting wideout, even if Ferguson is an average one. He is likely better than any of Tennessee's other second options at receiver besides Derrick Mason. Since Tennessee can't make any improvements via free agency witht heir horrible cap situation, this is one way for them to help themselves. Ferguson had 48 catches, 700 yd, and 2 TD last year for the Packers. The Falcons drafted WR Keith Torgerson (19/41) out of California with the pick.

Trade Six

PIT dealt RB Jerome Bettis to DAL for the Cowboys' 7th round pick (218th overall)

What is more surprising? That the Cowboys would deal away their third pick in this draft or that the Steelers would give up the running back witht he second highest rushing total last year for a seventh round pick that was just a handful of spaces away from free agency? Although Bettis's actual talent may be arguable, I have to think he was worth more than a 7th rounder. Apparently, the Steelers, having already lost Maddox, will now also lose their back, and make Amos Zeroue their new starter. That's a couple big changes for the world champs. Interestingly enough, Bettis goes to Dallas, the team that signed Maddox. So he will be reunited with his backfield mate from Pittsburgh. Of course, Bettis will likely get some competition from free agent signee James Jackson for that starting spot in the Cowboys' lineup. Last year, Bettis ran for 1571 rushing yards and 7 TD, and also caught 54 passes for 454 yd and 5 additional TD. The Steelers drafted CB Luke Dixon (11/34) out of Florida with the pick.

2004 Mr. Irrelevant

This infamous honor goes to K Lincoln Edwards (25/54) out of California. He was made the 224th and final pick in the 2004 draft by the Steelers.

Suspensions

A couple of draftees were introduced to the league in a rather poor manner, inclduing a first round pick.

Niners' first round draftee DT Bernard Soward out of Lousiana State was suspended for off-field conduct. As the 19th overall pick in the draft, Soward would be a huge loss for the Niners. The length of the suspension is not listed, nor the reason for the suspension. I thought he was a tremendous reach anyway.

The Vikings also lost a player to suspension. Sixth round draftee DT Gabe Reed out of Georgia Tech was also suspended for unspecified off-field conduct violations. The length of Reed's suspension was also not announced. He was the 185th overall pick in the draft.

Draft Review

Here's a look at the computer's grades of the talent each team got in the draft and how much it improved on the existing talent on the roster.

Code:
Draft Grades Team Grd Kansas City A+ Cincinnati A San Diego A- Buffalo A- Tampa Bay A- Carolina A- Minnesota A- Arizona B+ Seattle B+ St. Louis B+ San Francisco B+ Chicago B+ New Orleans B N.Y. Giants B New England B Miami B Philadelphia B Green Bay B Tennessee B Washington B N.Y. Jets B Dallas B- Indianapolis B- Pittsburgh B- Cleveland B- Denver B- Atlanta B- Detroit B- Baltimore C+ Oakland C+ Houston C+ Jacksonville C-

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-19-2003 at 04:40 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote