View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #221
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll go into the actual draft in a bit. First I wanted to talk a little about my strategy going into this one. It should be noted that I got a late third rounder from the Cowboys for DE Dennis Johnson last year, so I actually have eight picks in this draft.

Here's my position-by-position look.

QB If I can get a guy with a lot more upside than my current third and fourth quarterbacks, then this might be an area I address. It's not a high priority, though--I know the kind of long term QB I need isn't in this draft.

RB This is my #1 need, and in fact didn't go after any backs because I was hoping Muncy would fall to me. We'll see. It's a virtual certainty I will pick a back in this draft, although I don't know if I would do it right away if Muncy is gone when I pick.

FB This might be an area I will address, but I am not overly concerned about it. I am happy with Hodgins, and my only purpose in picking up a back here would be to avoid the problems I had last year when Hodgins went down. So a quality backup would be the only possibility here.

TE After Bush and Jones, I don't like my tight ends. And I am eventually going to have to allow one of the vets to go because it's too expensive to keep them both. That makes getting someone in place to eventually be a #2 TE at least is a somewhat of a need area.

WR I am generally satisfied with my receivers, but I could use a solid fourth guy. If one becomes available, I might take a chance on him.

C I let my backup center go. I am going to have to pick up another one to backup Kendall.

G I might pick up a guard. I have ones in place, but I am not sure Fiore is a long term answer or that Hodges will eventually reach good enough potential to start.

T The game would have you believe this is a need area, and it probably is. But time should help with that. Right now, I have five tackles, two of them recent signees. So this doesn't look like a position I will be looking to add anyone.

P/K It would have to be a no one else of value situation. I have a kicker and a punter, and I just don't see the positions as ones I need to draft players for.

DE I doubt this is an area I will address, even if the game thinks it's a need area. As I have siad before, I have young players here that just need time to develop. I also have ready backups in place.

DT I might get a DT to move into the backup rotation at the psoition, but I don't think I will look for it unless I am satisfied with other areas.

ILB Darling did fairly well as a backup ILB, but he is one of my weakest backups. If the right guy comes along, I might pick him to replace Darling. But since I have Darling in place already, other areas will need to be taken care of before I would consider someone here.

OLB I remain dissatisfied with my weakside linebacker, as neither Woods nor Fisher are certain to be the answer there, and current starter Hayes is actually a strongside backer (and better suited there). I may look to draft a guy to work into the backup spot with Woods and be an heir apparent at the spot.

CB I am pretty happy with the free agent corners I picked up, but given Buchanan's age, I may look to add a fifth corner for depth and to eventually move into the regular rotation.

S I can't do much better than my top three, but I need four safeties, so this figures to be an area I will use a pick.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote