View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #106
revrew
Team Chaplain

Pre-Season Wrap-Up Press Conference with Coach Kevin O'Dea
With fact-checker expanded comments in parentheses

Coach O'Dea, there's been a lot of speculation at the quarterback position. Can you confirm who will be the starting QB for Day 1?

Yes. Nathaniel Witt has won a lot of games for this club (his record is 16-7, accounting for 16 of the 18 total Dragon victories thus far). He deserves the opportunity to go out there and do it again, especially as he's more seasoned than our other options.

What about the back-up position?

We had expected (trade target Will) Lang or (last year's sometimes starter Bart) Dubord to be the answer there, but you have to give credit to the rookie, Dakota Corriveau, for looking strong in the preseason. That's going to be a tough decision, and we haven't made it as a staff yet.

What can you tell us about the development of your rookie class so far?

(1st round selection, OT) Roman Glover is definitely playing up to his draft spot. I expect him to see good playing time this season, and frankly, he's going to be tough to keep out of the starting lineup. Dakota (Corriveau), as I mentioned, has been very, very impressive. He isn't looking like a 5th rounder, but rather someone who should have been taken much higher. The talent is there. He's going to need some reps, some experience, but we're thrilled with how he's performing.

Can you comment on any of the other draft selections?

This is the NFL, and making a roster is an accomplishment in and of itself, no matter where you were drafted. I can tell you Glover and Dakota are pushing for playing time. The other draft picks will be evaluated for where they can fill in on depth.

What about undrafted rookies?

We have a few that have turned heads, to be sure. (RB) Logan Cyrus (Iowa State) has shown some playmaking ability, and I expect we're going to want to see how we can use that this season. And (OLB) Camden Eiguren (Iowa) looks to be a special teams contributor, possibly more.

Last year's offense did not rank well in the league. Might we see some changes this year?

The changes you're going to see across the roster, on both sides of the ball, are going to be young players who really stepped it up this preseason. We saw them last year, but whether it's the seasoning or another year of NFL training, we really think we have some gems who are going to come out of the woodwork. You mentioned offense, and (Center) Ricky Beverly has shown so much improvement, he may even get the starting nod (over big free agent signing Emmanuel Almodovar). Receiver Preston Evans has also exceeded expectations. On defense, (OLB) Craig Fredrickson is playing off the ball much better, and when he returns from injury, I expect to see him get some playing time.

Defensive End Ricardo Heuring had 7 sacks across 4 preseason games. Is this going to be a breakout year for him?

Well, we've moved him from the right side to the left, which may be helping him. I sure hope it's a breakout season for him. We'd love to see "the Manchild" really reach his potential.

Coach, any predictions? Are the Dragons going to be back in the playoffs again this year?

I don’t make predictions. Too many variables. Injuries can hit you on one hand - on the other, maybe you have a young player stepping up so much you have to get him on the field. Too much can change over a season. But the Dragons play to win first, and we play to make our fans proud, second. We've got some of the best fans in the league, driving over from Iowa City or down from Ames or from the far corners of the state, packing out the stadium every home game. We aim to put a product on the field that makes their trip worthwhile. Thank you.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote