View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #237
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread already, but if you really need a reason to hate Billy Joel any more than you might already, I highly recommend the documentary Hired Gun, about session musicians. Actually, I highly recommend it in its own right because it's a great watch, but the anecdotes about how horribly Billy Joel treated the 3 guys who helped make his music so popular in the early days are particularly interesting. Great example of session musicians being the behind-the-scenes engine for a lot of big acts and how quickly they get discarded like trash at the drop of a hat.
Thanks for the Hired Gun mention. I heard about it last year on SiriusXM and just plain forgot. Speaking as a hack musician it was a really good watch.

And more on topic, I don't know how Billy Joel falls into the Rock category. Pop yes, but rock? I like maybe three or four of his songs and they are possibly iconic in their own right. Maybe. (And no, Piano Man is not one of them. Ugh. Much like BJ, possibly the most overrated popular song ever.) Big Shot, Just the Way You Are, Uptown Girl, Movin' Out...these are rock songs? A decent lyricist, but he's no rock musician.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote