View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
What else is he doing that I don't know about? Am I just a chump in this situation to even trust him at all when he is telegraphing to me that he is not generally trustworthy?

This is one area where I know I'm kind of an outlier, where our kid tells us damned near everything (even occasional shit we'd be happier not knowing).

At this point though, if yours is lying to you, then you're probably ahead of the communication curve vs the average parent. At least there's enough communication where they end up choosing to lie, I'm not sure half of households even have that much taking place anymore (based on what I'm told by both parents & students alike over the past five years or so).

There's a certain school of thought that suggests that some lies are told just to see if you're paying attention enough to catch them. I'm definitely a believer in enhancing the omnipotence vibe & busting them on 'em when the opportunity arises. Calmly & low-key when possible/warranted, but bust 'em nevertheless.