View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #91
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think if you were expecting a meaningful turnaround by a graduating senior who has already been accepted to college during the last few weeks of school, that's on you. I remember everyone being checked out by the return from spring break

Fair.

Quote:
Don't most incoming freshman classes have groups set up on Facebook? Encourage him to reach out to some of the kids that will be in this leadership institute, or that will be in his dorm, if that's feasible at this point.

He has definitely been active on incoming freshman groups.

Quote:
He probably doesn't trust that you actually do believe in him, so look for opportunities to show that you do instead of just saying that you do. He probably senses the dread you have about all of this, and this sense of impending doom that you laid out in your post. But if you seem excited about this opportunity that he is about to experience, and optimistic, he might actually believe you and get excited about that too.

Well, I feel like the "letting him drive the car" thing was certainly an opportunity for him to see that as putting more trust in him, which crapped out pretty early. I think we're nearing the end of the grounding period off the car use.

I should note that I helped him edit an English paper he had, where he tries to relate to a famous literary character... in that paper, he talks about all the needless lying he does to his parents specifically. That would be another source of concern. What else is he doing that I don't know about? Am I just a chump in this situation to even trust him at all when he is telegraphing to me that he is not generally trustworthy?

I know that part of our relationship could use some work, and I don't expect it to be fixed overnight. But it is difficult to think that I am going to get straight answers out of him while he is away. And maybe what I won't know won't hurt me. But maybe it will.