View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #932
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

High School - End of Year Banquet

The end of year banquet was held Tuesday night. It was a bit sad, but Brett was unable to attend for his senior year. He was scheduled to teach swim lessons at the aquatic center, and unlike lifeguard work that can easily be covered by someone else - lessons are much less flexible. The team had their senior presentations including pictures of Brett as a toddler, elementary school student, his graduation picture (the casual one) and a swim picture. Plus all the seniors spoke about their time on the team (Brett was probably ok he missed this part). I wish he could have been there, but he did the mature thing and took responsibility for his work schedule.

Bear and Bailey both received their 2nd year chevron as well as a state patch (Bear's was a State Finalist Patch). Also, Bear and Bailey applied to be team captains. Going into this I felt Bear had a good shot, mostly because the coach typically selected a year round swimming captain and a non-year round swim captain, and on the boys side there is basically Jake and Bear - the other year rounders have no interest in being a captain. Bailey on the other hand has quite a few girls who also applied, and of course politics being what they are - I don't expect Bailey and Bear will both be named captain in the same year.

Typically the captains are announced at the swim banquet, but the coach is leaving South to head over to a new county school (Denmark High School), and because she won't be in charge of the team she decided to let the new coach select her captains at a later date.

The new coach, also happens to be the first coach the kids ever had at CRC, Coach Kate. She was the coach when they started swimming before moving overseas with her husband for a few years. She returned 3 years ago and has take back over as the CRC coach (in addition to being a high school teacher). We like her and she should be fine in the role. The most important thing for a high school swim coach is to put the year rounders in the correct events each week - the rest is basically window dressing. Looking forward to seeing how she'll do.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote