View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
cmp
Pro Rookie

Collins lands ride on eve of Season

FREMONT- On the eve of the start of the season, Nextel Cup veteran Kai Collins was given the official nod this afternoon from President of ChampCar Motorsports, Kevin Boroniec for the team's second seat as they expand to a full two-car effort in the Nextel Cup.

Collins, has been testing with the Champcar Motorsports squad alongside Canada's Paul Tracy (#60 Disney) in a second car since January and will pilot the #18 Blockbuster Video beginning with the Nextel Cup season-opener in Florida, at Daytona.

"I can't tell you how excited I am to re-join the competition after almost not securing a ride this year," said Collins. "I know I am capable of competing with these youngsters, and maybe even teaching them a thing or two!"

A veteran competitor with many Nextel seasons and starts under his belt, Collins’ struggled last season with Snow Motorsports. Collins is excited to get this season started and put last years dissapointing behind him.

Boroniec and the ChampCar Motorsports team have been vocal in their support of the Nextel series and have been working diligently since the middle of last season on the plans that have resulted in the expansion to two entries for the first time in the team's history.

"We have an enormous amount of respect for the experience and racecraft that Kai brings to our team," said Boroniec. "And we have every confidence that he will bring that expertise to bear and help us to reach the next stage in our team's development - to be a respected competitor week-in and week-out."

Bobby Mask's Final Season

Bobby Mask has now officially announced that Season 11 will be his final season in the Nextel Cup Series. He will drive the #14 Pepsi Twist car this season in what will be his final season in the series. He has been driving since Season 3.

#1 Car Sponsor

The sponsor of the #1 car driven by Nextel Cup rookie AJ Tucker will not be AOL like was rumored. Apparently Budweiser will be sponsoring the #1 car in Tucker's first season.

Picture of #1 Budweiser Chevy

New Cars

Here are the pictures of the other new cars on the circuit.

#15 David Gonzalez - Best Buy

#18 Kai Collins - Blockbuster

#36 Tom Glaser - Matchbox

#47 Kyle Kappe - Lipton Tea

The picture of the #38 Boston Red Sox car driven by David Yellope will be up later.

Last edited by cmp : 12-14-2003 at 11:00 AM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote