View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #920
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

High School Meet - Winter Invitational - RESULTS

South girls won and the boys finished second but overall South finished 2nd in total points. They were severely hampered with Jake out and John Ryan injured. Those are 2 of the top 4 swimmers on the boys team. Alone those 2 swimmer probably cost South 30 points not counting how they impact relays and the trickle down of scoring for those that finished higher than they otherwise would have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

#6 Girls 200 IM (2:21.44) - 2:25.40 - and a good indication of how holiday training really drains the kids.
#12 Girls 100 Free (59.72) - 1:01.49 - I miss spoke in my pre-race write up. I intended to state that without rest the best she could possibly swim was a 58 high...indicating that it wasn't going to be good enough regardless. The 1:01 mid time she swam was a little off what I expected but not a ton. I figured she'd be a 1:00 high...
#22 Girls 400 B Free Relay (2nd) - assuming she swam the leg the results has her listed as swimming she posted what appears to be a 1:03 spit in the relay - this is extremely poor and I'm guessing the order got shuffled and she's the one that swam the 1:01.53, but I don't know for sure.
Regardless it doesn't really matter. This was the first B relay to finish and they were 4th overall, so not terrible from that standpoint.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

#3 Boys 200 Free (1:51.72) - started out with a bit of a lead and he was cruising a bit, but quickly discovered his competition, who was listed with a 1:57 time was a much better swimmer than he anticipated. He ended up having to pick it up a bunch to out-touch him in a time of 1:53.80
#13 Boys 500 Free (4:51.40) - Bear's competition here had Jr. National cuts...so he watched him pull away early, and in response he put it in cruise control to make sure he finished 2nd. 5:16.65
#15 Boys 200 A Free Relay (2nd) - The boys relays were all screwed up due to John Ryan's injury. So I don't know which leg Bear ended up swimming. I believe he posted a 24.5 right out of the 500 so not terrible. The relay finished 2nd (to the team with the Jr. Nat swimmer and his brother - the boy Bear raced in the 200 free)
#21 Boys 400 A Free Relay (2nd) - same situation as above. In this one I believe Bear anchored and swam a 53.57...again they finished 2nd and again to the same team. I wish they had had their best boys in this event, the relays would have been really exciting.

Brett

#1 Boys 200 B Medley Relay (Breast) - Brett swam a 34.4 split in his breast...just off what he typically swims. They finished 6th
#7 Boys 50 Free (26.19) - Brett was DQed in the 50 free for unsportsman like conduct. I'm assuming he was late onto the blocks...
#19 Boys 100 Breast (1:11.54) - opened strong for him with a 33.89...but faded badly in the back half, which isn't surprising given his lack of practice. finished in a time of 1:14.57

Ok...Found out what happened on Brett's DQ. In the heat before his, one of the boys on the team swam his event in a onesie to be funny. They DQed him. Unfortunately, when they went to record the swimmer they chose the wrong heat. Will (the guilty party) was in Brett's lane, 1 heat in front of him. So Brett was mistakenly DQed. Not that it matters. His swim wasn't a personal best anyway and he didn't score any points in the event for the team. But nice to know what happened.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-12-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote