View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #166
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am not accusing you of this, but so much of the debate has seemed to immediately run to protecting those that MIGHT be falsely accused in the future while ignoring the legitimate victims of the present and those that will be legitimately victimized in the future. I don't feel like we care that much about the falsely accused in other areas of misconduct and other crimes in our society. Now we should care more about the falsely accused in all areas but we don't. That difference does lead me to ask why.

I appreciate that you are not accusing me of this, because it is far from my motivation. Actually, I just wanted a discussion. I wanted to broach a subject that recently seems to be carefully avoided, because it can easily sound like you are defending the accused and attacking the accuser. I hope that what I wrote made it clear that I am in no way trying to silence victims. I am just openly wondering if there is a way that we can protect both sides from have their life destroyed unfairly.

As for "we don't care about the falsely accused in other crimes," you are talking to the wrong person about that. I do care. It is just that these kind of crimes tend to get way more attention (sex sells copy). People can be accused in other crimes and survive with their lives mostly intact if found innocent. But any high-press coverage type crimes makes that much harder. On top of that, what we have going right now is "trial by mob." Keep in mind, no one has been convicted of anything in this yet by an actual court.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote