View Single Post
Old 12-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Day Sixteen

Big Signings

G Jermane Mayberry re-signed with the Eagles Philly hasn't done much to bring back their departed free agents, but at least they got one. Mayberry was the #11 G in free agency, and one of the last remaining line free agents that could be said to be among the best free agents at his position. Mayberry re-signed for $7.80 M/3-years. No one else made him an offer.

P Toby Gowin signed with the Cards This was a signing of little real consequence, but nonetheless, still quite necessary. I still don't know why I decided to go for Gowin instead of just bringing back Player. Player is actually saupposed to be better. Anway, Gowin finally signed after having us his lone suitor for sixteen weeks. The former Cowboy signed for $700K/1-year.

T Victor Riley signed with the Texans Getting a solid free agent tackle at this point of free agency is quite an achievement. Houston won the small war for the services of #7 T Riley, who played with the Saints last year. Riley took the money, as Houston's offer was the best at $4.87 M/3-years. He picked the Texans' offer over ones from the Bears, Hawks, and his 2003 employer, the Saints.

FB Brad Hoover signed with the Bengals The Bengals signed the #4 FB in free agency in Hoover. The former Panther FB signed for $1.28 M/2-years. No one else made Hoover an offer.

FB Patrick Hape signed with the Steelers Pittsburgh signed the best remaining FB in Hape. The former Bronco came into free agency as the #3 FB on the market. He signed a $700K/1-year deal to leave the rarified air of Colorado for the world champs. Hape was only being courted by the Steelers.

G Dave Fiore signed with the Cards Just like that, our free agency is beginning to wrap up. Fiore isn't really what we were looking for, but he still represents a nice upgrade for our second guard position. Fiore, a former SKin, signed for $2.45 M/2-years. We were the only team on the guard.

C Mike Flynn signed with the Jags This has been a largely successful offseason for the Ravens, and the Jags have yet to really replace the huge offensive line starters they lost, but this one goes against both. Flynn, the #2 C going into FA, was probably the best remaining lineman in this free agent class, and ranked high before a single signing was made. For all the good the Ravens have done, they will likely feel his loss on the line. The Jags signed Flynn for $13.24 M/5-years. Showing that NFL GMs are indeed dumb, no one else (including the Ravens) made Flynn an offer.

CB Artrell Hawkins signed with the Seahawks The Seahawks, like teams like the Patriots and Eagles, have largely been kicked around this offseason. So they must enjoy that they managed to land one last big free agent to help replace all that they have lost. Hawkins, the #9 CB in a deep class, is a nice signing at this point, and he didn't come easy. The Hawks signed him over eight other teams, including an offer from the Cowboys that was just as strong per annum, and offered another year more than the Hawks' did. Hawkins, a former Bengal, signed for $3.47 M/3-years. In addition to the Cowboys, Hawkins turned down offers from his former employers the Bengals, Lions, Vikings, Broncos, Rams, Bears and Pats.

Other Signings

The Lions re-signed TE Mikhael Ricks for $1.66 M/2-years.
The Saints signed OLB Danny Clark away from Jacksonville for $1.82 M/3-years.
The Eagles signed CB Terry Cousin away from the Panthers for $2.56 M/3-years.
The Lions signed OLB Charlie Clemons away from the Texans for $1.67 M/2-years.

NOTES FROM DAY SIXTEEN

The signings of Gowin and Fiore just about rbing to close my free agency. I would spend more if there was something worth it to spend it on, but the top free agents are all pretty much gone.

Still, either because I struck out on a couple of the bigger free agents, or I just had too much cap room for what I needed, I found myself with a good amount of remaining cap space at this point.

I decided I could still use another cornerback, given how week the position was last year. All in all, David Barrett didn't do too bad for me. No, he's not an option as a satrter, but he had good talent for a dime corner, and he was a very good run defender besdies. So I decided to toss on an offer to bring back the unrestricted free agent.

I think you will only be seeing at best little moves from me at this point.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote