View Single Post
Old 12-12-2003, 02:46 AM   #330
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Well it certainly sounds like Lowe was in the wrong then, from those articles. I'll still contend that it's his right to do that and at no point did he finalize the trade and then back out it. He should have been a little more forthcoming with the Ducks, however.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
I don't know if the Ducks can even talk to Comrie without Edmonton's permission (isn't that tampering?), so the Oilers must have had some assurance they were doing a deal with the Ducks, if they allowed them to talk to Comrie and his agent to work out a deal.

A contract negotiation does not mean a finalized trade. The Ducks wouldn't agree to any trade for Comrie's rights unless they knew they would be able to sign him. So allowing the Ducks to negotiate with Comrie is just good faith on the Oilers part. Just because the Ducks and Comrie worked out a deal, doesn't mean the Oilers couldn't turn around and ship him off somewhere else at the last minute. You could argue about the ethics of such a stunt, but as far as I know there is nothing in the league charter to prevent it.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote