View Single Post
Old 12-12-2003, 12:13 AM   #189
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Day Thirteen

Big Signings

CB Ray Buchanan signed with the Cards There we go! I was practically leading for him all free agency. Buchanan is the #11 CB available in this free agency, but the position was the deepest in this class, so that ranking isn't nearly as bad as it seems. Also, Buchanan isn't expected to start--pretty nice luxury for a backup. Buchanan signed a $5.26 M/2-year deal, taking our offer over lesser offers from the Chiefs and Browns. Buchanan comes to us from Atlanta.

DE Ray Lee Johnson signed with the Bills Johnson was one of the best free agent defenders left in this class. He came into free agency as the #7 DE available. The former Charger inked a $2.51 M/2-year deal. He did not receive any interest from any team besides the Bills.

S Bracy Walker signed with the Bengals This is like a trade. Earlier in the offseason, the Lions signed former Bengal Beckett. Now the Bengals get former Lion Walker. Of course, the Lions also lost Harris, so they aren't even at the position just yet. As for the Bengals, they get the #8 S in Walker, who signed a $3.26 M/3-year contract. The Bengals were the only team to make him an offer.

G Tom Ackerman signed with the Seahawks Been a while since the Hawks signed anything approaching a significant free agent. Ackerman isn't a guard, so he can't replace the Hawks' two missing tackles, but it can't hurt to have another key lineman around. Ackerman, a former Titan, was the #10 G available in free agency, and signed for $6.52 M/3-years (nice deal, actually). Ackerman's only offer was from Seattle.

DE Lance Johnstone signed with the Texans Johnstone is one of the last of the top DEs available. The former Viking came into free agency ranked #11 among those available. He signed a deal for $2.27 M/2-years. No one else pursued Johnstone.

TE Stephen Alexander re-signed with the Chargers Getting a quality receiver at this point is always a nice get, even if it's a tight end. Alexander was the #3 free agent TE and was one of the top-rated remaining free agents in this class. Alexander signed a $1.43 M/2-year deal. The Chargers were the only team that made an offer.

Other Signings

The Seahawks signed P Mitch Berger away from New Orleans for $3.09 M/3-years.
The Bengals signed S Jason Sehorn away from Miami for $1.58 M/2-years.
The Niners signed G Chris Villarrial away from Chicago for $4.22 M/3-years.
The Vikings signed DT John Browning away from Kansas City for $3.05 M/3-years.
The Bears signed DT Michael Myers away from Dallas for $1.74 M/2-years. Myers turned down offers from the Steelers and Giants.
The Lions signed CB Fred Weary away from the Rams for $2.19 M/3-years.
The Vikings signed ILB Chris Draft away from the Falcons for $1.48 M/2-years. Draft turned down offers from the Bengals, Chargers, Bears, Packers, Eagles, Broncos and Lions (and he wasn't even one of the top nine ILB in free agency).

NOTES FROM DAY THIRTEEN

After our second major signing in a couple days, we're looking pretty good right now, at least with respect to what we wanted to do. We have out tackels lined up and our corners. Those were probably our biggest need areas. We also have a quarterback and kicker signed up. But we still need help at guard and at safety. We're still on top for Freeman at S, and we're still contedning for STinchcomb. Is that guy going to sign sometime soon or what?

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote