View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #325
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Sorry Chief. All the reports I have read have said nothing of a done deal. All they say is that Lowe and Murray worked out which players would be involved, and the Ducks were able to negotiate a contract with Comrie, which they would have wanted to do before any trade was finalized anyway. If you've seen different, than I'll agree that it's low of Lowe to do, but it is still in his rights as a GM to do that. But I've seen nothing that said Lowe said the deal was done and final.

And you are right, it's not the Ducks or Comrie's responsibility to find a replacement player. It's Lowe's. And I do believe that's what he is doing. Since he can't find the right offer, he is making the best of the situation.

As for blasting 'holdouts', I will say that I am almost always on the teams side (even though it wasn't directed at me ). Especially small market teams in Canada, where every sub-mediocre talent thinks he can hold the team hostage since they can't afford to pay for real stars. Comrie grew up in Edmonton. He knew the financial situation of the team before he signed. He could have gone back into the draft, since he's so concerned about money now. However, he signed a pretty good contract, and the Oilers own his rights. Fair or unfair, that's the reality. And since he doesn't want to play here, too f$%#ing bad for him. He doesn't like the $2.5 million price tag? He doesn't have to play for the Ducks this year then...in fact he doesn't have to play anywhere for all I care. It's his choice, the Oilers offered their deal and he refused. The Oilers followed the rules regarding his contract, why should they be punished cause some spoiled rich kid wants a bigger piece than he is entitled to? Had Comrie shown just a tiny bit of interest in playing hockey last year, maybe the Oilers would have offered more money, or maybe they wouldn't find it so difficult to deal him right now. Instead he didn't, and his value has dropped so low it is more profitable for the Oilers to hold on to him. He made his own bed, he'll get no sympathy from me.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote