View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 02:52 AM   #184
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Day Eleven

Big Signings

T Orlando Brown re-signed with the Ravens Baltimore has been spending most of its time signing other free agents, but this is one they brought back themselves. As the #4 T, Brown is one of the best remaining linemen, and is the best T still unsigned. He re-signed with the Ravens for $9.27 M/3-years. Brown also took the Ravens offer over a far more lucrative one from the Lions ($15.55 M/4-years).

DT Dan Wilkinson signed with the Falcons BAM! Another big defensive signing for the Falcons. It would be shocking if they weren't able to turn this into the playoff spot they just missed out on last season. Big Daddy was one of the primary reasons the Lions surprised and challeneged for the NFC North title, and is the top remaining DT. The #8 DT signed for $8.09 M/3-years. He turned down a lesser offer from Green Bay, and didn't get an offer from the Lions.

RB Corey Dillon signed with the Chargers Hmmm, interesting move. Dillon isn't what he used to be, it seems, as one of the once more dependable and talented backs is just #6 in a weak RB free agent class, but he could certainly start a few places. It appears he is content to back up LaDainian Tomlinson. Mr. Moody signed a $3.55 M/4-year deal to leave Cincy, and no one else made him an offer.

G Kerry Jenkins signed with the Bears The Bears finally got a lineman. Jenkins, the #5 G in free agency, comes to Chicago via Tampa Bay. He signed for $2.66 M/2-years, and no one else made him an offer, including Tampa Bay.

RB Duce Staley signed with the Bills The Bills got screwed by the "disappearance" of Willis McGahee and an apparent lack of concern over the loss of free agent RB Travis Henry, so they have brought in Staley, the #3 RB in free agency, and the best remaining back out there. Staley signed a $2.43 M/3-year deal with Buffalo. No one else was vying for his services.

OLB Eric Barton signed with the Ravens The Raiders take another hit as yet another defensive free agent leaves Oaktown. Barton has joined the Ravens, who are continuing a defensive overhaul of apparently every position except those of star linebackers Ray Lewis and Peter Boulware. Barton was the #8 OLB, and the top remaining OLB on the market. He signed for $2.14 M/3-years, and the Ravens were the only ones to offer him.

C J.P. Machado signed with the Bengals After missing out on several other top free agents, the Bengals finally got back on a winning track, landing probably the best remaining lineman on the market. Machado came into free agency as the #3 C, and his upside is so high that he might end up the top center in the league one day. He signed a $3.86 M/3-year deal to leave the Jets and, surprisingly, had no other teams interested in him.

ILB Orlando Ruff signed with the Falcons Brooking has a partner in the middle now. Ruff, the #7 ILB in free agency, played with the Saints last year. He signed a very small $680K/1-year offer from the Falcons and joina lomng list of defensive free agents whom have found new homes in Atlanta. Obviously from his contract, no other team made an offer for him.

S Rogers Beckett signed with the Lions The Lions have mostly been losing players, especially on defense, but they got a good one in return here. They signed Beckett, the #5 S and one of the best remaining free agents, away from Cincy for $2.81 M/3-years. Beckett will replace Corey Harris in the Lions' defensive backfield. The Lions were the only team with an offer on the table for Beckett.

K Paul Edinger signed with the Skins The last remaining top kicker in Edinger changed addresses from Chicago to D.C. today when he signed a very lucrative $9.29 M/6-year contract. The #6 K, Edinger turned down an offer from the Panthers that wasn't quite as rich.

RB Michael Bennett signed with the Seahawks The Seahawks didn't even lsoe Maurice Morris, much less Shaun Alexander, so I am not sure I understand this move by Bennett, the #10 RB in free agency. Bennett isn't as good as he appears to be in real life, but he could probably be the main guy for a team or two out there. The former Viking signed a $1.18 M/2-year deal with the Hawks, a team which apparently can only sign free agents at positions they don't need. Well, as a division foe, you won't see me complaining. Bennett's new employers didn't have to fight off anyoen for him, including the Vikings.

Other Signings

The Patriots signed DT Gilbert Brown away from Green Bay for $1.67 M/2-years.
The Chiefs signed K Jeff Wilkins away from St. Louis for $3.22 M/3-years.
The Broncos signed TE Kyle Brady away from Jacksonville for $2.30 M/3-years.
The Bengals signed DT Seth Payne away from Houston for $1.66 M/2-years. Payne turned down an offer from the Saints.
The Chiefs signed CB David Macklin away from Indianapolis for $2.01 M/3-years.

NOTES FROM DAY ELEVEN

The Stinchcomb back-and-forth is beginning to really concern me like the Tait negotiations did. Since the good guards seem to be disappearing, I figured it was time for me to make an offer to another guard, just in case. When I did this with the tackles, I ended up getting McIntosh, who looks like a good sort. I hope I can get another solid guy here. I decided to make an offer to Dave Fiore, formerly of the Skins.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote