View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 01:43 AM   #183
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Day Ten

Big Signings

QB Tommy Maddox signs with the Cowboys Wow, what a big signing at this point. Of course, this is me imagining the reaction if this were to happen in real life. The Super Bowl MVP and top-rated passer in the league moving over to Dallas, a playoff team that could really use a quarterback. Is this a mtch made in Heaven? A fairy tale? Or is this just setting up the grand failure you would expect from a guy with Maddox's actual talent, which is more than mediocre, it is probably subpar. Maddox's departure from the champs was pretty much set when they signed Brunell, of course. Maddox, the #4 free agent QB, signed a $6.77 M.3-year deal to replace Quincy Carter, another free agent of even less talent. The Boys won last year in spite of him, so this should be a step up in that respect at least. What a shocker--no one else was making offers to Maddox. I guess that wouldn't be entirely realistic. Let's face it, you don't throw 34 td's against just 10 INTs, with a 108 QB rating without getting some offers in the offseason.

RB Antowain Smith signed with the Saints Well, with Eddie George signed up as one of the Pats' few actual free agent targets, you figured they wouldn't bring back Smith. The #8 free agent RB, Smith signed with the Saints for $2.56 M/3-years. Of course, incumber Deuce McCallister is still with the Saints and, last I checked, one of the better backs in the league, so this looks like a demotion for Smith. No other teams made offers for Smith.

FB Greg Comella signed with the Vikings The Vikings are doing soem good things in this free agency. Comella might not be a high profile free agent, but he is the #1 FB in this free agent class, and one of the better fullbacks in the league. Comella turned down more money overall from the Saints, and more money per year from the Bengals to sign with Minnesota for $7.81 M/5-years. Comella, a former Texan, also turned down offers from the Giants, Steelers and Browns.

ILB Mike Maslowski signs with the Texans The Chiefs had good momentum early but the losses of guys like Woods, McCleon and Maslowski is beginning to counter the strides they made previously. Maslowski entered free agency as the #8 available ILB. He signed with the Texans for $2.25 M/3-years. Houston was the only team going for him.

OLB Na'il Diggs signs with the Falcons The Dirty Birds came into the offseason with a horrible defense. You can't say they aren't making an effort to change that. They signed Diggs, the #7 OLB in free agency, to a $4.36 M/4-year deal. Diggs comes from the Packers and didn't receive any offers from other teams.

T Mike Gandy signs with the Steelers Not only are the Bears losing out on guys like Naisl and Folau, they are also losing the linemen they had last year. Gandy switched over to Pittsburgh after inking a $2.71 M/2-year deal. Gandy, the #8 T, actually took the smallest offer on the table to play with the champs, turning down more lucrative offers from the Panthers and Patriots (yes, the Patriots).

K Rian Lindell signs with the Giants Lindell crossed the state of New York to find a new job. The #7 K left Buffalo for a lengthy 5-year, $6.41 M contract with the Giants. The Giants were the only team who made an offer to Lindell.

DT John Parrella signs with the Browns The Browns weren't very good last year, but they are getting some key defensive players. After adding the top ILB in Godfrey, the Browns added the #7 DT in Parrella. The former Raider actually took less money from the Brown then he was being offered by his old team. He signed a $5.31 M/2-year deal, turning down offers from the Raiders, of course, and also the Broncos, Saints, Steelers and Chargers.

Other Signings

The Patriots signed DT Grady Jackson away from New Orleans for $1.98 M/2-years.
The Niners signed CB Antoine Wingfield away from Buffalo for $1.33 M/2-years.
The Broncos signed CB Andre Dyson away from Tennessee for $2.46 M/3-years.

NOTES FROM DAY TEN

I don't really have anything to add except to note that even the weak positions now are getting picked apart. Pretty soon, the big signings (the top 7-11 at each psotiion) will be few and far between.

I have the high offers on Freeman and Bulger. I am still struggling to land Stinchcomb, as there other teams that seem to want to have him.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-11-2003 at 01:44 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote