View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 08:03 PM   #2
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

After taking over the team one of my first executive actions was to put out a trade list, putting G Ray Brown, T Matt Joyce, DT Kelvin Pritchett, and MLB Earl Holmes on the block.

Shortly after making that list public I started to have some serious thoughts about running a 3-4 defense (I'm generally a 4-3 guy) and wasn't so sure I wanted to trade Holmes. But an offer came in from KC: RB Larry Johnson (KC's 2003 1st round pick) and a 3rd in 2004 for Holmes.

As noted above, we're hurtin for RB's. Johnson doesn't run with great power, and he's not very good on 3rd downs, but he's otherwise a great back. Tremendous speed and elusiveness, reads plays well, has the potential to become a good receiver out of the backfield. But he's also a rookie, so he may not pan out to be as good as he looks. The deciding factor here was the contract. I had Holmes signed to a very reasonable 3 yr, $4.6m contract. Johnson was signed for 7 years for (factoring out his bonus, which KC paid) $5.6m. If this kid pans out, we've got a franchise back for the next 7 years at under a million a year. Sweet. We accepted.

From the Chiefs' perspective, they unloaded a guy who was going to be sitting behind Priest Holmes (also signed to a 7 year contract) and picked up the last piece of their defensive puzzle. They've got a very strong team and should go far in the playoffs. We'll check in on Holmes at the end of the season to see how it pans out.

This is a big first step for this team, and, while we're still going to get our asses kicked this season, gets things moving in the right direction. We've now got the three cornerstone players for our offense: Harrington, Johnson, and Rogers.

Tonight is the first week of preseason games. We don't play. The only players in the FA pool right now are undrafted rookies. I put in a few offers to promising ones this week, and also made contract extension offers to a few of my players. I'm anxious to see how those turn out.

And as for the other guys on my trade list. I've had a couple of nibbles for Joyce and one for Brown. I'm trying to push forward on the Brown one, but I'm still undecided as to whether or not to dump Joyce. My starting OT's are set, but Joyce can start elsewhere on the line this year, and will be nice to have as a backup in future years. My general feeling right now is to keep him unless somebody makes an offer I can't refuse. Additionally, with Holmes gone I will be less likely to trade Prichett as I will definitely be playing a 4-3, and will probably need him to start at DT.
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote