View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #42
kcarr
High School JV

Staff Draft:
We made no changes

Draft:

1.4: LT Avery Newton (43/86) Picking at 1.4 I didn’t expect Newton to be available and was looking to trade down if he wasn’t. I had a WR marked as my next target and figured I could get him 4 or 5 spots later but the 6’1” 304 lb tackle from Virginia fell to me despite being the top rated player in this class. He fills a real hole on the line and gives me a solid anchor to my offensive front along side a good interior line.

1.26: WR Deion Burley (35/79) I wanted to add a stud receiver this year seeing several available in this draft and I took one I really liked here, a 5’11” target from Sam Houston State who ran a 4.38 40 and put up 19 bench reps. He looks raw, only 3% developed, but talented.

2.10: MLB Deon Maddison (25/76) I traded down a bit here not seeing anything that jumped out at me and added a 5th and a 7th in doing so. We were hurt on defense when Heard missed time this year and adding Deon Maddison will not only get us through that but add a stud in base sets and a better 3rd down player than Heard making our LB group one of the best all around in the league. I wanted to go Corner here but there wasn’t anyone standing out to me so I will try to address it later.

2.27: CB Cesar Miller (34/65) Finally enough of the guys in front of him were taken that I felt good taking Miller here. This is our biggest investment at the spot and looks like a solid one. Our pass defense should be improved thanks to him and he should be helped by our quality defensive front.

3.28: CB Silas Kinney (33/60) We added a 4th and a 5th moving down from 3.4 to 3.28. We then used the pick to continue to improve our pass defense taking another potential starting corner and strengthening the back end of our defense.

4.17: WR Evan Driggers (32/62) We added a 6th dropping from 4.4 to 4.17. At that point even though Driggers was the 8th WR on the board he had been on top of mine for a while and I figured he was worth the pick. The Ohio State player should give us good depth when added to the young guys we have which should make this a breakout year for our passing game with Havens.

4.18: FB Lincoln Bates (32/63) With only a four guys I really want left on the board and 4 picks in the next round and one more this round I paired a couple 5ths to move up and take a well rounded fullback who should give us the best play we have had at the position so far.

4.25: CB Wes Clancy (36/57) Another move up for us Clancy looks like a good return man who can actually play defense as well

4.28: C Ellis Gibson (30/57) With a pick we already held we sat put and took a center who looks to nearly complete our line. He is a strong pass blocker and decent run blocker and should start this year.

5.20: G Keegan Sobin (26/62) the last of the players I had marked as must have guys he was further down most people’s boards but his combination of blocking strength and adequate blocking skills in both areas makes him a capable lineman. We may not have a spot for him right away but the depth is worth having.

6.4: K Mel Tisdale (47/66) After great luck finding a punter last year in the draft we are looking for an equal answer at kicker and hoping Tisdale is the upgrade we are looking for.

7.4: T Gino Hampton (24/42) Gino will give us a guy who can compete at RT and is a capable run blocker until we can find a better fit.

7.6: DE Darius Tatum (27/63) I couldn’t make it through the full draft without picking up some Dline depth even with our line already being a strength in the making. With my last pick I took a guy who is great against the run and a very solid pass rusher though lacks the endurance to play every down. He will likely get one or two sets which will actually work nicely as both of my left ends can also kick inside giving me a strong rotation with good players out there fresh at all times.

Draft Grade: The game gave me an A but I wouldnt hesitate to call it an A+. We got an elite tackle, a playmaker at WR, a 3rd LB to fill out a great group and a couple good potential corners along with some other good pieces.
kcarr is offline   Reply With Quote