View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #22
kcarr
High School JV

Draft:

1.10: SS Todd Ford (44/83) After trading down from 1.1 with Oakland, receiving their first, second, and third this year and first and second next year we were set to take a defensive difference maker with guys who looked like 80 potential guys at both OLB and SS. Todd is a combine standout running a 4.32, putting up 25 bench reps, scoring 6.94 in the agility drill and 47 in his position drill this Miami strong safety has nearly full bars everywhere other than returning and making interceptions. He should be a centerpiece of our defense for a long time and adds a true stud to the back end of our growing D.

2.9: DE Irving Bellmore (33/74) I traded my 2.1 pick for 2.15 and a 4th and 5th. With my 2.9 I took a DE/DT tweener Irving Bellmore. At 6’4” 293 lbs he could either trim down and play DE or bulk up and move inside. He is really good both against the run and rushing the QB.

2.15: WR Will Hardy (34/58) Though my team is building up nicely from the inside out I lack playmakers and without a lot of options later I went with a 5’11” 188 lb kid from Norfolk State. He has solid hands, is good at adjusting to the ball, getting downfield, and making big plays.

2.22: DT Gabe Dunn (47/69) With the talent available flying off the board quickly I got nervous and made a move up to the back end of the 2nd round trading my 3rd and 4th round pick. Gabe Dunn was my pick. A 6’3” 315 lb player Gabe is great against the run and at collapsing the pocket. This likely sets my earlier pick, Irving Bellmore, in place as a DE and sets a solid 4 man front at the base of my defense.

3.10: SS Daryl Kasten (24/52) With not much talent left on the board I heavily considered trading this pick for a pick next year. I went with Daryl Kasten though. He is missing some bars but is good against the run and in zone coverage and is a decent hitter.

5.1 P Marco Henderson (73/88) After trading my 4th round pick for a 5th this year and a 5th next year I finally pulled the trigger on a punter I had kinda wanted to take there. Marco has full bars on all 3 kicking areas and should mean I don’t need to worry about the position for a long time.

5.17 TE Levon Burns (26/48) After mediocre luck at TE last year we took another shot at a late round pass catcher. Burns is 6’3” 248 lbs and is really good on 3rd downs and at getting downfield.

5.20 WR Giovanni Porter (29/45) Still looking for options as pass catchers I took another shot here. Porter has some decent areas of upside, especially as a possession guy.

6.1 OLB Louis Segura (22/55) Looking for a 3rd starting LB and maybe someone with enough coverage skill to play 3rd downs I went with Segura here, a 6’ 245 lb Golden Gopher from Minnesota he offers good run defense, play diagnosis, and man an press coverage skills though he is weak in zone.

7.1 CB Cedric Amadro (22/44) With my 7th round pick I added another corner who is solid in man coverage and adds some punt return skills.

Grade: The game gave me a B which I think is fair. There wasn't the talent available that there was last year and I was upset I didn't find an offensive tackle, but there wasn't much available there. Other than that I was happy enough with the draft and feel I added at least a couple key players and have built one of the higher upside defensive fronts in the league in just 2 years. I would give myself a B+ here, but I have even more ammo next year, though likely not the first overall pick.

Last edited by kcarr : 02-09-2017 at 08:15 PM.
kcarr is offline   Reply With Quote