View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #285
Butter
Coordinator

I'm well into Week 2 on the PS Vue.

Previously, I was on Time Warner Cable, and we did most of the viewing of that via 2 Roku boxes that were in our house. So I was already used to their Roku app and really did not use the DVR functionality due to the box being in an inconvenient place in the house.

The TWC app was better than the PS Vue Roku app. The Guide for PS Vue on Roku is horribly clunky. For me, it is usable. What I have done is created a Guide for myself on TitanTV, so I can browse whatever is on at any time on that, rather than relying on the on-screen guide.

The other complaint about PS Vue I have is that the DVR is spotty at best. The couple of times I have tried to start recording something in the middle, when I go back to that show, the recording is basically unusable.

Last week, I recorded Mr. Robot, and tried to begin watching it while it was still airing. The recording began a noticeable lag... to where the sound gradually became 10-15 seconds ahead of the action. The fix to that was to pause for about 15 seconds... then repeat about 20 times. Very annoying. Also, I recorded one live sports event, and when I started it, it jumped to somewhere in the middle for no apparent reason.

Compare that to the no-DVR I did have, and it's a step up. For people used to a DVR experience, it'll be quite frustrating. As sov said, there is no option to extend a Live recording past its original end time... you just need to schedule the show after to record as well. Considering the DVR is unlimited (only limit I see is all shows disappear after 28 days of recording), that shouldn't be a problem.

The PS Vue experience is MUCH better on a PS3/PS4 box than the Roku. There is a usable live guide, and more buttons from your PS controller mean easier functionality. I hear the Amazon Fire TV box is also a very good experience. I stick with Roku due to the remote headphone jack. My wife and I are on very different sleep schedules, so I am often up 2+ hours after her watching TV at night, and the headphone jack in the Roku remote is a lifesaver.

I am on 50MBps plan from Time Warner Cable. I went from $202 a month with a TWC bundled plan (including home phone, which we have since removed), to $70 internet and $45 Elite Slim PS Vue package... so saving about $80 a month or almost $1000 a year.

Plus, PS Vue has our local Fox Sports Ohio channel streaming, which TWC never had on their Roku app. Another thing PS Vue has that I enjoy is both BeIN sports, and One World Sports, which show World Sports like soccer, cricket, track and field among other things.