Thread: running journal
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
hoopsguy
General Manager

A couple of updates.

5/16: Did the easy run that I had referenced before. Ran it about as slow as I'm capable of self-pacing, assuming I'm not restricting pace on a heartbeat run or something similar. Actually picked up a side-stitch about a mile into the 4km run, which was a little annoying given the pace. But it was about 45 minutes after lunch, so probably not totally unexpected. Going from memory, the watch did re-calibrate recovery time and VO2 Max. But I didn't record those value.

5/17: planned no run, given the heavier effort earlier and plans to spend day/afternoon/evening with daughter. It was her school's "Field Day" event so I went to help judge the hurdles event and then took her immediately after school to a trampoline place called Epic Air, as well as dinner and a favorite treat place. Fun day, still enough walking to get 10K steps, but decidedly unhealthy eating on all our parts.

5/18: somewhat unplanned lazy day. I knew my daughter was meeting a friend after school, so I planned to get my run in after work. My wife had other plans, as we ended up meeting for dinner and drinks.

5/19: first dawn run of the year for me. I've got the Chase Corporate Challenge run in a week. This is a intimate little gathering for me and about 35,000 of my closest friends. The distance of 3.5 miles is pretty non-standard, but close enough to 5k that I normally don't do anything different for preparations. After feeling like I was going kind of fast over my first 1k today I decided to kick the run into gear as a prep for the Chase event. So I shortened up my run a little bit and ran up to the 5.6k mark, including going much harder uphill than I normally would over this area. And a few new watch achievements:
- Fastest 1km: 4:21
- Fastest 1m: 7:17
- Fastest 5k: 23:55
I will need to shave about 25 seconds off that time to hit my goal of 27:00 for the Chase race. Doable given zero warm-up today, moderate hills on the course, and expected boost from having other runners on the course. Only real worry is that I'll have to navigate around a ton of folks, particularly if I start further back with my co-workers. I would be thrilled if the watch showed me approaching my actual record 5k time.

Weight - haven't mentioned this at all yet, but some terrible eating over the past couple of days has pushed me up to 174. At 5'9" that isn't awesome. I'm looking to get under 170 and maintain that weight within the next month. Most of this month has been in the 171-172 range, so this seems pretty reasonable. Medium term, I've got ambitions of bringing the weight south of 165 and 160, but there are some dietary changes required. I'm sure I'll touch on that in future posts.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote