View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #350
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I've done a lot of reading over the past few years too, and I am thoroughly convinced of the health benefits of a plant-based whole food diet. I lost 30 pounds and have maintained it for 2 years with no "dieting" to speak of. I don't eat salads, I don't starve myself. I feel so much better than I did at 215 pounds. Two plus months ago, I took the plunge and went from eating meat occasionally to not eating meat at all, and managed to lose a little weight over the holidays in the process. I occasionally get the hankering for chicken wings or something, but on a day-to-day basis, I don't feel like I'm missing out. I've also cut out dairy, except for what I refer to as "incidental dairy" like milk chocolate bars. I don't eat cheese or milk, but if there is a little butter in the mashed potatoes, that's okay. I won't put it in myself, but if it's already there, I usually won't let that stop me from eating them.

I had similar results with the plant-based whole food diet when I started it pretty much exactly 2 years ago. I just changed my diet and did not even add any exercise and I still lost about 25 lbs in around 6 months.

What got me, however, was around that 6th month my wife was pregnant with our second. That really threw a wrench into things as we slowly fell off the diet as she gained her pregnancy weight and I gain my "sympathy" weight . Then of course once we had the baby (in addition to a toddler) there was no time get back on the diet.

Now we're finally at a place where we are trying the diet again as we started Monday. I am really excited to be on it again. Unfortunately over the last year and a half I did gain all of the 25lbs back, almost exactly. I've also felt like shit, especially recently and I know a big reason is my diet. I felt really good last time on the diet so I am looking forward to it.

As with you I am a real believer in the plant-based whole food diet. I think the proof is there in how you feel after making the change. It wasn't only the weight loss but there was a noticeable difference for my whole body and mind.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote