View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #235
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Event 4 - High Jump - Ground Rules

The mechanics of the high jump are different from the other events (Pole Vault will be done the same way when we get there), so I want to take a moment to try and explain how this event runs in hopes of avoiding any confusion.

The event will start with an announced height (probably 6' 5") and you will either pass or choose to jump. Once you've passed or cleared the bar the height is raised 1". It is important to note that once the bar is raised it will not be lowered again, so you can't go back and clear a lower height to insure a score. Also, you don't have to clear a height to jump a the a higher level. For instance, if you miss a lower height you were hoping to get in order to insure a score, rather than try that height again, you can wait until the bar gets higher. You will continue to eligable to jump until you have 3 straight misses, regardless of height, or until you announce you are finished with the event.

Given that you can keep going until you have 3 misses, obviously, it is possible to take quite a few jumps based on how the dice rolls work out for you. Therefore it is important to note that each athlete gets 7 jumps without a fatigue penalty. In addition, for each attempt that was passed in the long jump and shot put, you also get an attempt without penalty (or you can save those extra attempts for the pole vault or to potentially trade them in for additional allout chances in the 400 or the 1500).

Let me know if you have any questions...this is historically the most confusing point of the dynasty.

Do to the fact this event requires numerous interactions I know that doing these through PM work the best...I won't announce results (and I ask you don't mention them) until everyone is finished, but by doing this through PM we can knock it out typically in a matter of minutes whereas doing it through the dynasty thread would take days.

I'll be posting a card breakdown for everyone soon...

A couple of notes that became obvious after starting the jumps

1. You will select your starting height - previously it was easy to determine a lowest value but now the range is much more diverse
2. When you announce your height you will also need to let me know effort.

Last edited by Breeze : 08-14-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote