View Single Post
Old 11-29-2003, 04:07 AM   #131
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Franchise Designations

Five teams chose to exercise their franchise designations on potential free-agents-to-be. I will let you guys discuss amongst yourselves the wisdom of using such designations on these players. Following thew teams and players with (current/future) in parentheses after the players' names.

Detroit: RB Shawn Bryson (41/43)
San Diego: P Darren Bennett (60/60)
Seattle: CB Shawn Springs (46/46)
St. Louis: DE Grant Wistrom (64/64)
Tampa Bay: DE Ron Warner (32/49)

Man, the franchise designation logic really needs some work (of course it may have received it in the patch--I did the whole offseason pre-patch when I first got the game and started this dynasty).

Bryson is exhibit A. Bryson is not anywhere near being a Top 20 back, and that's before the new backs in the draft get tossed in the pool either. He had 514 yd and 4 td. That did the lead the way for the Lions, and both James Stewart and Olandis Gary are gone, but give me a break. $4 M-plus for this guy?

Sure, Bennett is the #11 P overall, but do I have to explain the idiocy of this move? Thank GoD for the Chargers punters are cheap.

Springs wouldn't outwardly seem so bad, but his former starting partner Willie Williams is actually better (51/51) and star rookie corner Marcus Trufant passed them both (63/80) with ease. You just don't franchise your third best corner.

Wistrom is the first one I think goes okay. He's not a world-beater either, but he's coming off of a good year and he was ranked 20th among DEs in Current Value. Sure, a Top Five salary is still a huge screwed up move, but at least he's in sight of being a reasonable franchisee. That's better than you can see for anyone else in this group.

This last one really has me befuddled. Ron Warner? Well, he did start, but he's not even the best RDE on the team (that honor gos to Simeon Rice). Warner plays out of position at LDE apparently. This guy is going to get Top Five DE money? Good Lord...

Arizona did not choose to use its franchise designation on any potential free agent players (since for the most part, they all suck).

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote