View Single Post
Old 12-18-2000, 07:10 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

2007 season

I set my lineups for starters. I’ll have two rookie LBs step in and start this year—my starting trio will be Woodson, Barlow, and Starks. Hwang—my most valuable LB the last two years, will be the top reserve. At RB, Pettus gets the call, and surprisingly my scout prefers the rookie Hoffman to the veteran Kemp—despite the apparent ratings of the two. I expect Pettus to be the workhorse, anyway. The rookie Makovicka takes over for Salinger at cornerback.

We get out of preseason, and see this message:

Injury Report:

None

I’m floored—I’ve never seen it before. I hope it’s a good omen.

Incidentally, here’s what my scout says about my current roster:

Starting Positions Assessment:

Fairly concerned about starting fullback
Fairly concerned about starting offensive left guard
Extremely concerned about starting defensive right tackle
Fairly concerned about starting strong-side linebacker
Fairly concerned about starting strong safety
Fairly concerned about starting punter

At most of these positions, we’ll get better with time. Safety is still a weakness, and my punter is a novelty—I’m holding him simply because of his name.

On the franchise value screen, my roster is rated 100 for the first time. New England has a 97, and two other teams are rated above 71. My cohesion ratings are 75-60-54-62, as usual near the bottom. My complete turnover at LB has its consequences, of course.

We host Oakland in our opener, and beat them 23-7. It’s all good—Pettus gives me 96 yards, de los Santos throws for 409 yards, and the only TD we give up is on a kickoff return. Very nice.

Week two is Denver, and they again prove to be tough. They come in and beat us 17-10, though we slightly outgained them. They just seem to get our goat—which amplifies the regional rivalry. We suffer a serious injury—one that will really hurt. DE Phil Banks is gone for the year, and DE is a position where I simply have no depth. I slide in LB Hwang in as a designated pass rusher from the DE position (and I hope he’ll get some time there, which has been a spotty proposition in the past for me).

We beat San Diego 31-0. The 3WR set is serving us well, as de los Santos hits each guy for a TD, plus an extra to Buddy Henry, who has stepped into the third slot. LB Hwang, incidentally, comes in for 11 pass plays—and registers 1 ½ sacks and a hurry. Not bad.

Our yo-yo season continues as we lose to Buffalo, 34-28. We lose an early lead, then make a late charge, but come up one score short. We get to 3-2 with a 20-14 win over Kansas City, another solid game. We win in Tennessee 9-6 on overtime to get to 4-2. Obviously a defensive game, but mostly redzone defense—we had 303 yards of offense, including 158 from Pettus on the ground.

We crush Seattle 28-3, behind the same formula—good solid defense, and 183 yards from Pettus. I don’t know what Cincinnati was thinking, but Pettus still seems to be able to run. We come home after the nice 5-game road swing (the last four were wins) and rally in the fourth quarter to beat San Diego 23-13.

We head to Denver, and exact revenge—with a 31-28 win. We picked off Jake Plummer 4 times to make the difference. We thrash Kansas City 51-21, and this team is humming right along. We’re finally getting something out of the disappointing TE Ellis Forest—he’s up to 6 TDs this season.

We get a close road win, outscoring Dallas 19-0 in the fourth quarter to take the win 33-28. Bruce Pettus got the game-winning TD with 1:03 left. We beat a good Pittsburgh team at home, and manage to stretch to 10-2 on the year. Again, a late Pettus TD is the game-winner, this time only by 12-7.

Another tough matchup brings Arizona into out lair—and they snap our winning streak. They win 24-14, even though the yardage was even. Our two interceptions were the difference.

At 10-3, we have 1 ½ games on Oakland, and look strong for the division and an almost certain bye week. We crush Seattle to practically lock things up—we now have the division wrapped up, and a bye week is a near certainty.

We win on Oakland 40-22, and are looking awfully powerful. Our injury list is starting to build up, though, and I’m a little concerned that we may have peaked too soon. DT Tracy Cassidy is now gone for the season, and S Steve Frank will miss at least a few weeks. We eke out a 31-24 win over Washington to wrap up what was easily our best season to date. We’re 13-3, and we hold the AFC’s top seed.

Stat leaders:
QB Paul de los Santos: 4,190 yds, 58.0%, 7.67 ypa, 30/16, 88.4
RB Bruce Pettus: 324-1,477 yds, 7 TD (4.5 ypc)
WR Matt McCaughey: 79-1,175 yds, 8 TD (53.3%, 5 drops),1 PR TD
WR Buddy Henry: 73-960 yds, 7 TD (60.3%, 7 drops)
WR Bo Wayman: 42-729 yds, 4 TD (48.2%, 9 drops)
TE Ellis Forest: 48-532 yds, 6 TD (70.5%, 4 drops)
OL unit: ~35% KRBs, 46 sacks allowed
LB Dominic Barlow: 95 tackles, 2 sacks
DE Burt Horner: 40 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 4 blocks, 3 hurries
S Steve Frank: 64 tackles, 7 interceptions, 1 TD, 43.0 PDQ

Overall Stats (off/def/avg):
Rushing: 3.9 / 3.5 / 3.7
Passing: 7.6 / 5.5 / 6.4

Suddenly, this team is hugely improved over the last few seasons. Our LB corps improved a lot, and our running game appeared like magic with the addition of a real running back. Is that the entire story? I figure that dreadful coaching and scouting held me back for a few seasons, but now I’m past all that. This team is suddenly a major player—a title threat.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote