View Single Post
Old 12-18-2000, 02:27 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

2006 season

I set things up as usual—no huge changes to the game plan. I decide to move toward more multi-receiver formations, as I’m starting to feel more comfortable with the talent there. (And I’m not too keen on my FB situation) We escape preseason without any major injuries—though WR Huffman will miss a few games.

In our opener, we crush Miami 37-7. It’s a good start for de los Santos, as he throws for over 350 yards and 3 TDs, and he connects 5 times with rookie wideout Wayman, who is slotted as our third receiver. We punish Atlanta 42-16 in our second game, with 4 TD runs in the first half. Game three is against the 2-0 Rams, and should prove tougher.

It does—we lose in St. Louis, 27-22. We once again were unable to run the ball hardly at all (24-58 as a team) and suffer down the stretch. Seattle, playing behind the rookie QB they traded up to get with the #1 overall pick, devastates us 41-10. The QB, Arnie Fisher, isn’t the issue—it’s our awful defense, led by backup QB Dell, who came in when de los Santos was injured. De los Santos will miss a few more games, and I suspect we’ll miss him pretty badly.

Oakland beats us 17-14, only their second win of the year. QB Bennie Dell – finally getting his chance – pulls up lame in the first quarter, and has to hand things over to rookie Tyrell Pool. Pool doesn’t embarrass himself, but he’s not exactly the guy we want running the show right now.

For week 7, we’ll call on de los Santos again. We lose in Kansas City, 20-17. We once again blew a lead and gave up 10 fourth quarter points. Unacceptable! We also lose WR Matt McCaughey to another injury—which is starting to look like a pattern with him. In week 8, we rebound, and hand a 45-31 win on San Diego. We ran effectively, and WR Jared Antonick—stepping in for an injury to Buddy Henry—caught 11 passes for 205 yards. Now, with Henry and McCaughey out, we’ll see just how deep our WR corps really goes.

We win in Buffalo when rookie backup QB Tyrell Pool hits rookie backup WR Bo Wyman for the game-winning TD with 1:07 remaining. Wyman had already been in for my two injured receiver starters, and de los Santos went down early in this one with a knee injury, which will keep him out for several games. I decide to keep the rookie Pool in the hot seat—he has better poise in third down situations, and seems better suited for us than does the slightly older Dell.

We beat Seattle 13-7. Despite no running game on our side, we manage to hold the Seahawks in check—their only score came on a fluke breakaway running play. Our defense is playing pretty well, and at 5-4 we’re not totally done. We have, however, just lost DE Burt Horner for the year, and stepping down to journeyman Spurgeon will mean a dropoff in pass pressure, to be sure.

We go into Denver, and get our heads handed to us, 42-6. Pool is guilty of 4 interceptions, and is not taking well to the starter’s job, it seems. I’ll keep him in for Cleveland—a game we probably can’t win anyway. We lose in Cleveland, but it’s not that bad—only 23-20. Again, our running game is dreadful (22 carries for 33 yards!) but Pool gets us out quickly to a 14-0 lead. We fold up like a tent in the late game, and I resolve to replace my coach at all costs.

I decide to give my rookie RB Copeland a shot at toting the rock. He can’t do much worse than my group of vagabond “running backs” I have in place. Pool will stay as our starter at QB.

San Francisco takes us 31-24. In this game, our early lead was 17-0 after the first quarter, but we again let it slip away. Copeland carries 8 times for negative 8 yards—with a long of 2. Not so good. Pool’s 241 yards and 3 TDs passing keep us in the game.

In our rematch against Denver, we defend our home turf with a 20-13 victory. Copeland (11-112) and Preston (11-89) seem to find the running game we’ve been missing, and we play probably our best game fo the year before the proud home crowd against the bitter rivals. McCaughey also gets back into the swing of things with 91 yards receiving. RB Nick Kemp is gone for the year with an injury, as is disappointing TE Ellis Forest.

Kansas City comes in and beats us 17-6. A bad day for our offense, blowing a rather good game from our defense. We cheer the return of QB de los Santos for our final two games, and we had into Oakland. The raiders bounce us 31-28, but it wasn’t that close. We got two late scores to suggest a close game. In our finale, we roll San Diego 27-6, with a great game from our defense.

We have certainly learned a few things. This team is not good enough yet to be able to win consistently when missing a few key components. Injuries have a direct effect on our ability to compete with the better teams. Past that, we also have been revealed to be just not quite as good as we would like to be… at least not yet.

Stat leaders:

QB Paul de los Santos: 2,038 yds, 61.9%, 9.01 ypa, 15/2, 109.6
QB Tyrell Pool: 1,396 yds, 53.5%, 5.45 ypa, 9/12, 61.5
RB Seth Preston: 156-595 yds, 6 TD (3.8 ypc)
RB Nick Kemp: 84-301 yds, 4 TD (3.5 ypc)
WR Bo Wayman: 83-1,094 yds, 7 TD (57.6%, 11 drops)
WR Matt McCaughey: 61-987 yds, 5 TD (58.6%, 6 drops)
OL unit: ~32% KRBs, 48 sacks allowed
LB Sam Hwang: 110 tackles, 6 sacks
DE Phil Banks: 6 sacks, 4 blocks, 12 hurries
S Steve Frank: 77 tackles, 9 interceptions, 43.6 PDQ

Overall stats (off/def/avg):
Rushing: 3.4 / 3.8 / 3.7
Passing: 7.0 / 6.2 / 6.4

We have to look at the half-year that Paul de los Santos had and wonder what could have been. I’m rather convinced that if we can get him and his three receivers all healthy at once, we’ll have a very capable passing game here. Now, if we could just get the offensive line to pass-block worth two cents…

Cincinnati stumbles in the playoffs, and leaves the SB chase wide open. Jacksonville ends up winning over Philadelphia to take the title. My only mention on the post-season awards board is LB San Hwang, who gets second team for his lofty tackles total. I’m mostly surprised that my safety Steve Frank was snubbed, after getting 9 interceptions. Alas.

I check out Chicago’s roster, and CB Travis Rogers was their third corner, and started about half the season due to other players’ injuries. He has a pretty routine season—3 interceptions, no TDs, nothing spectacular in his returns or defense. Looks like he was just lightning in a bottle for a little while there.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote