View Single Post
Old 12-17-2000, 09:02 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

2005 season

I get everything set up, and prepare for the season. On the franchise value screen, our roster rating has grown to 57, which ranks 10th in the league. Cincinnati still has the 100, but nobody in our division is more highly rated than we are. Our cohesion at the start of preseason is rather low: 72-69-63-56. We basically overhauled our secondary, and thus we suffer there. Our passing game has had some stability, but the 72 still puts us close to the league bottom there. In FOF 2001, I’ll definitely take talent over cohesion, though.

My RB situation will be a mess- I still have no obvious go-to guy. During pre-season nobody stands out, so I go with my incumbent, the perennially disappointing Lister. At LB, we have taken two serious injuries, including hyped rookie Jumbo Woodson, and we’ll be weakened there for most of the year.

We lose our opener to Oakland, 26-24, allowing 10 points in the final six minutes. We’re making a habot lf late-game folds, and I don’t like it. The upside is that RB Max Lister had a very good game, behind an improved offensive line—104 yards rushing, a TD on the ground and one TD catch. In week two, we get pounded by the Chargers, and I’m more than a little worried.

Tampa Bays dished us a 27-10 drubbing, and I’m at a total loss. I decide to plug in a new RB and give him the heavy load—I go with Nick Kemp. Chicago pummels us 38-13 in week 4, and I’m positively dumbstruck. WR McCaughey is down with an injury, which won’t make things better anytime soon. We simply aren’t making the “big plays” that we had grown accustomed to—and without them, we just cannot seem to get our own fuse lit.

The Jets – a quality team again this year—hand us a 22-13 defeat for number five. My wideouts drop 11 passes, as we simply can’t get things going offensively. In week 7 (game 6) we finally get a win, over Kansas City. We get another over Seattle, and perhaps we’ve turned the corner—though the offense hasn’t exactly opened things up.

Buffalo corrects any high-flying notions we might have had, as they pummel us 27-10. San Diego follows suit, and at 2-7 it’s clear that things are not going well for us. My QB de los Santos has a 55 QB rating, and my RB situtation remains a mess. I put in Seth Preston as my new feature back, but I see little else to do with my current lineup. CB Travis Rogers has gotten hurt, and he will miss a few games—though his production is nonexistent this season (2 interceptions in 9 games, no TDs of any kind).

We upset the previously 8-1 Detroit, but lose WR McCaughey again to a groin strain. We get a win over Denver as well, but nearly give it away in the end as well. We stretch our streak to three wins by beating Kansas City again, and we play very well. Seth Preston was very strong at RB, and de los Santos used the tools he had to their utmost. My rookie safety scored a TD, and the defense played very well. While our playoff hopes are fading fast, the team is playing well—suggesting that maybe not all is wrong after all.

We beat Denver to get to four in a row, and 6-7 on the year. Seth Preston again powers the offense, as we come from behind to take it 24-17. We get CB Rogers back from his injury, and hope to keep things rolling. Oakland puts a quick stop to that with a 41-13 smashing of us. That seems to take the wind out of our sails, as we’re flat the following week against Minnesota.

WR Buddy Henry has 3 TD receptions as we beat Seattle in our last game, and get to 7-9 on the year. It’s definitely not what we were looking for, but we’ll chalk up the season as a learning process. (I guess)

Stat leaders:
QB Paul de los Santos: 3,157 yds, 49.0%, 6.28 ypa, 21/17, 68.9
RB Seth Preston: 130-684 yds, 3 TD (5.2 ypc)
RB Nick Kemp: 98-358 yds, 0 TD (3.6 ypc)
WR Buddy Henry: 76-1,069 yds, 7 TD (58.0%, 12 drops)
OL unit: ~30% KRBs, 51 sacks
LB Reggie Peters: 102 tackles, 3.5 sacks
DE Phil Banks: 18.5 sacks, 2 blocks, 2 hurries
LB Sam Hwang: 83 tackles, 10 sacks
S Steve Frank: 90 tackles, 8 interceptions, 1 TD, 37.8 PDQ
CB Travis Rogers: (12 games) 28 tackles, 2 int, 31.4 PDQ

Overall stats (off/def/avg):
Rushing: 4.0 / 3.8 / 3.8
Passing: 6.2 / 6.3 / 6.4

Our passing game fell apart, and some of the blame falls on the injuries to McCaughey. However, we simply were not effective throwing the ball during most of the year. De los Santos has had an uptick in interceptions in the last two years, which is pretty unsettling. I’ll pretty much stay the course, and see where this thing goes.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote