View Single Post
Old 12-17-2000, 02:32 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

2004 season

We start off preseason with Lister in as the #1 RB, and my top two rookies below him on the depth chart. However, Lister goes down with broken ribs in preseason, and I’ll get my little “experiment” sooner than I had thought, as he’ll miss half the year or so. RB Nick Kemp is also laid up with a bum wheel, so we’ll dig deep.

Our opener is a loss against the Jets. Rookie Seth Preston is my starter at RB, but is uninspiring with 12 carries for 45 yards. We blow the game by allowing two late TDs. We bounce back and beat the Giants 31-24, behind two interception TDs and two pass TDs from de los Santos. Again, we almost give it away late—troubling sign. We get a big win over Washington, and add another interception TD—that makes five in three games.

We beat Seattle behind another bunch of big plays, including a kick return by CB Travis Rogers. RB Preston is dinged up, and Nick Kemp returns from the injured list and will get the #1 spot for now. We lose to Oakland, the one good team we were able to beat last season. We get a squeaker over Denver, 27-24, behind a good effort from de los Santos, who is really warning up to having two legitimate receiver targets in McCaughey (still the go-to man) and Henry—who together catch almost 300 yards of receptions against the Broncos.

We beat Kansas City 23-17, behind two late TDs—an interception return by CB Travis Rogers, which ends up pushing the game into OT, and then a clutch TD on the opening kickoff by Rogers. CB Travis Rogers is an unheralded young player—a CB with defense/coverage ratings of 16/16/13, but a high interception rating of 71, and outstanding return skills. He’s proven that he’s capable of making quite a number of big plays—he has only been on the field for 393 pass plays, but he has 11 interceptions and 3 TDs, plus he has scored 4 more TDs on returns. He seems to have quite a big play knack.

An unfortunate loss at Indy brings us to 5-3 at the halfway point. Seattle at 5-3 and Oakland at 5-4 are still very much in the division fight, as we are without a dominant team this year. QB de los Santos has taken every snap, but our RB situation is horribly muddled—nobody has over 250 yards, nor a 4 ypc average. However, Lister returns this week, and he’ll step in as our top back.

We defend at home over Seattle, as 3 TD passes give us a lead, and then we nearly blow it by giving up two TDs in the last 5:21. We then win over San Diego to get to 7-3—CB Travis Rogers gets two more interceptions, and is named player of the game even without scoring. I decide it’s time to get him in as our starter—hopefully we can rebuild his happiness and keep him around after this contract expires—he seems like a tremendous producer.

We win in overtime over Cincinnati—one of the AFCs top teams, and strengthen our position further. At 8-3, we stand behind only the 10-1 Jets and the 9-2 Bengals, and we have a one game lead on Seattle for our division. Philadelphia – a major NFC contender—dishes us a 21-20 loss and we slip a notch. Again, we give it up big time in the fourth quarter to lose this one—blowing a 20-7 lead.

We beat San Diego, one of the division doormats, and move to 9-4. Winning the division will probably only get us the #3 seed, but that’s still our goal. We thrash Denver, and get two more return TDs—another KR from Travis Rogers, and an interception TD from safety Donald DeLamielleure. A loss to Oakland in our next game is pretty meaningless—we have the division locked up, and have our first playoff berth this year with 10 wins already in the bag. Our last game is also empty- but we beat Kansas City to keep momentum going into the playoffs as the #3 seed in the AFC.

Stat leaders:

QB Paul de los Santos: 4,166 yds, 59.3%, 7.06 ypa, 30/22, 82.3
RB Nick Kemp: 103-568 yds, 1 TD (5.5 ypc)
RB Max Lister: 106-406 yds, 2 TD (3.8 ypc)
RB Byron Dahl: 68-241 yds, 2 TD (3.5 ypc)
WR Matt McCaughey: 106-1,635 yds, 8 TD (59/2%, 8 drops)
OL unit: ~32% KRS%, 51 sacks allowed
C Jeff Lang: 32/74 KRBs (43.2%), 4 sacks allowed
LB Otis Whalen: 75 tackles, 2 sacks
DE Phil Banks: 9 sacks, 2 blocks, 8 hurries
CB Travis Rogers: 373 pass plays, 13 ints, 3 TD, 75.2 PDQ, 4 KR TDs
Secondary unit: 8 TDs off interceptions

Overall stats (off/def/avg):
Rushing: 3.7 / 4.4 / 3.8
Passing: 7.0 / 7.1 / 6.5

How can this team, with those stats, be a division winner and an 11-5 title threat? Big plays. How on earth can a part-time nickel back and kickoff returner be my team’s obvious MVP? I don’t know, but this guy scored 7 times—which is as many TDs as my team had rushing—from all my backs put together. All I know is that we’re in the playoffs, and Travis Rodgers is an impact player, despite his pretty modest apparent ratings.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote