View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #896
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So what's happening here? The answer, after digging into some census data, seems to be massive demographic change. In 1990, the city of Ferguson had 5,589 black citizens and 16,454 white citizens, making it about three-quarters white. By 2000, blacks were a slim majority of the population. As of 2010, they made up 69 percent of the city, and it seems likely that trajectory has continued over the last four years.

This may be part of the "Great Inversion" that seems to be taking place in St. Louis; as the white population begins to reverse its 1950s-era migration to the suburbs, the black population is migrating out toward the suburbs.

Why Ferguson, Missouri's, police department is so white - Courant.com

The town just got majority black. Can't fire a bunch of cops just because things flip.

Quote:
Off-topic a bit, but the poor communities should be exploiting the fact that anybody can join, not bitching that not enough of those jobs go to middle and upper class kids. I know that we should all be pulling our weight equally in the military, but damn, that's opportunity right there, don't let that pass you by! It's a great way to get out of those shitty neighborhoods with no future. But I'll admit, I'm a bit biased on that one.

Right, okay. I give up.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote