View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #895
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Do you have stats to indicate that this is a legitimate issue in Ferguson or are we just relying on some snapshot of national data as reality?

I look at the end result of growing up in Ferguson. 67% Black/5% Black Police Officers. I see that as a community failure.

But to get away from race for a second...I've spoken with a couple of cops since this shooting (Tampa PD) and they say the same thing...most kids in the poor neighborhoods simply aren't eligible to be cops by the time they are 18 for one reason or another (and that goes for whites, browns, and blacks).

I would add that some (most?) kids in bad neighborhoods have a negative perception of the police department and refuse to join. But nobody is telling them that the way to fix that perception (particularly a racial divide) is to join those departments.

Quote:
Like you can't just say things like "there are no qualified people," and even reading the actual article rather than looking at the graphic, people realize that the article has a lot of "well we tried, but no one was interested" and yet, I bet if we're throwing out statistics these same communities surely tend to send disproportionate amounts of men & women to the military.

Off-topic a bit, but the poor communities should be exploiting the fact that anybody can join, not bitching that not enough of those jobs go to middle and upper class kids. I know that we should all be pulling our weight equally in the military, but damn, that's opportunity right there, don't let that pass you by! It's a great way to get out of those shitty neighborhoods with no future. But I'll admit, I'm a bit biased on that one.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote