View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #864
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If it's trying to say that white murderers get treated nicely and apprehended instead of shot, I don't know how you'd even begin to sort that statistically. How do you parse out instances of murderers who willingly turned themselves in as opposed to those who wanted to go out in a blaze of glory. I'd also argue that in black communities the clearance rate is much lower so perhaps they are treated better by not having the police catch them at all. Chicago for instance has a clearance rate of around 25%. So 75% of murderers don't even get caught.

It's true that figures on how many people the police kill are notoriously incomplete, but there's always somewhere to start. You could break down the people killed by police by race and by prior criminal history (you could draw the line at only counting being wanted for murder, including stuff like assault, weapons charges whatever you think). That could be a relatively easy linear regression where you assign 0/1 dummy variables for race (0 = black, 1 = other) and criminal history (0 = no history, 1 = yes history). Race of the officer could be relevant too.

You might ask, "why don't you do it then?" and the answer is because the person making the claim less supported by evidence should have the burden of doing the legwork to find some evidence. The current counterargument lists five black murderers who were taken in to custody (two were sleeping, one was unconscious following a suicide attempt, and one was unarmed and subdued by multiple bystanders) and zero innocent white people killed by police (but it happens).

The clearance part could be a confounding factor, but in light of the fact that the vast majority of murderers are the same race as their victims due to proximity, could just verify several of the links posted that discuss how "Black people don't pay any attention to black-on-black violence" is closer to "White people don't care as much about black-on-black violence," especially given what we know about the demographics of police forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think I made it clear that I think he is wrong on most counts. I don't think the problems in the black community are all a result of white supremacy as he states.

Again, the more audacious the claim, the more evidence required. You are a random message board poster saying someone who is a professional writer who is pretty well-regarded by other professional writers is actually wrong about most stuff, but you are right. Going to need more than "he's just a race hustler because he has not stayed in West Baltimore his entire life."

Last edited by nol : 08-22-2014 at 01:50 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote