View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #521
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I was directly responding to MBBJ's example of the a-hole cop and that we have to be perfectly behaved to avoid getting harassed or tased or shot six times. It's bullshit. I didn't do such a great job explaining it. Sorry about that.

I do feel like there is a massive amount of victim blaming going on though. I guess we will never know for sure without the video. Although we had video of Rodney King getting brutalized and the cops were still acquitted in the criminal trial.

I agree to an extent with the victim blaming. Anyone who says he deserved to get shot for robbing a store and/or getting high is dumb. But only the extreme fringe are arguing that as a logical outcome. Of course he shouldn't have been shot even one time, but I don't know how combining bits of information is outside the realm of trying to figure out how it came to be that he was in that situation.

The cops can now show the following: he was in an altered state of mind due to the marijuana, how altered is completely unknown. He quite recently committed a mildly violent crime, how much that was still in his mind at the time of his interaction with the cop is unknown. In no logical world would these things lead to someone getting shot by a police officer. By the store clerk, maybe... but not a cop, but...

"If" you believe the police reporting that he initiated a physical confrontation with the cop by attempting to take his gun, then I can see why the cop would use deadly force in that situation.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote