View Single Post
Old 12-16-2000, 04:29 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

2002 season

We get our depth chart in place, and head into the season. My starting safeties get dinged during preseason, but the guys I have are pretty interchangeable.

The first game in franchise history is a 24-21 victory over Buffalo. Our first TD is a pass from de los Santos to McCaughey—as it should be.

Now, we’re not a mighty team quite yet, but we manage to stay in games. We drop two, but then get another victory over Oakland, as de los Santos tosses 32 or 42 for 329 yards. Another home win over Minnesota follows, and we’re suddenly 3-2!

San Diego scores in the last two minutes to take the lead, but WR Matt McCaughey returns the kickoff for the game-winning TD, adding to his already impressive 142 yards receiving and a TD. Against Denver, de los Santos gets knocked out early, but we still win it 23-20, and move to 5-2 on the year- and currently in command of the AFC West.

Seattle comes in and beats us, but we come back with a win in Oakland. We beat the hapless Bucs, and move to 7-3, which is definitely a playoff-worthy mark. We win in KC 13-6, and then head into Denver. The rival Broncos are only 6-5, but their playoff hopes rest with a win over the “pushover expansion team.” They get it 38-21, and the division race tightens up. We’re tied with San Diego, and Denver is only one game back now.

We are upset at home by Kansas City, which hurts. We lose at Green Bay, and now we’re in trouble. At 8-6, we currently project to finish in a tie with Denver—who would have the tiebreaker for the final wild card. Our next game, a home loss to Jacksonville, all but eliminates our playoff hopes. If we beat division-leading San Diego in our last game, we have an outside shot.

Instead, the Chargers nip us 27-23, and take the division. Our 8-8 final record is good enough for the 7th best position in the AFC—which is probably the worst possible place. No good draft pick, but also no chance in the playoffs.

Stat leaders:
QB Paul de los Santos: 3,640 yds, 60.6%, 6.65 ypa, 23/11, 85.9
RB Max Lister: 189-938 yds, 4 TD (4.9 ypc)
RB Byron Dahl: 102-439 yds, 2 TD (4.5 ypc)
WR Matt McCaughey: 116-1,587 yds, 9 TD (64.8%, 5 drops), 3 KR TDs
OL unit: ~30% KRBs, 38 sacks allowed
LB Reggie Peters: 119 tackles, 1.5 sacks
DE T.J. Neely: 8.5 sacks, 5 blocks, 7 hurries
S Leslie Tucker: 55 tackles, 3 int, 31.2 PDQ

Overall stats (Off/def/avg):
Rushing: 3.8 / 4.8 / 3.7
Passing: 6.7 / 6.7 / 6.7

Well, it seems clear what we need to focus on – our defensive front. If we can improve our run-stoppers, we might have something here sooner rather than later.

Kurt Warner and the Bears march through the playoffs to win the Superbowl over the Jets. Warner gets the awards superfecta—MVP, OPOY, First Team, and SB MVP. My WR Matt McCaughey obviously had a fabulous season, and grabs OROY as well as first team WR honors. My LB Reggie Peters, a second year add-on, gets second team honors for his big tackle total.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote