View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #286
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I still contend, as I have for many years now, that the P5 (will become P4/16 teams each) should be a minor professional league. Do away with the charade of student/athletes, making them go to classes and gaming the grades system (I have personal experiences with such). They (major sports athletes) are there to play ball, so let them concentrate full time on that, pay them accordingly and have the university sponsor and pay (including medical) their teams in exchange for TV revenues. Leave all of the spaces and scholarships for those going to school for academic reasons (and qualified to do so). If a player wants to get a degree, then they would have to do it in their spare time or off-season but there would be no special eligibility games to play.

I might support that if it also included making the schools' athletic departments achieve a balanced budget with no money from the general fund.